1)First dismantle the batteryleads to avoid electric hazard.
2)Dismantle the steering wheel by taking the centre cover of with a screwdriver carefully,and then take the wires of the centre cover to the horn, loosen the nut 24mm in the middle but dont at first take it off, then wobble,and pull the steering wheel towards your self till it loosens, then dismantle the nut and take the steering wheel off.
3)Unsrew the 2 srews in the undercover and take the upper and undercover off.
4)dismantle the 2 or 3 screws (depending on model) pointing towards you, holding the wiper and blink contacts, dismantle the electric cable connections from the contacts and then remove the contacts from the casing.
5) remove the bolt in the housing (aluminium) holding the ignitionswitch, located from down without a head, needs a hammer and a chisel, can be hard to loosen.
6) turn the key clockwise so it pulls back the slot from the steering axel.
7) remove the electrical cables from the ignition switch.
8) pull the aluminium housing toward yourself sliding it upwards
9) exchange the lock,casing and electrical bottom piece all together and insert a new bolt in the aluminium housing
10) reverse to install
Jul 20, 2008 |
1991 Volkswagen Cabriolet