Question about Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

I need to separate the top half of the gear stick to put on a new rubber boot

Posted by on

1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    Top Expert:

    An expert who has finished #1 on the weekly Top 10 Fixya Experts Leaderboard.


    An expert that got 20 achievements.


    An expert that got 10 achievements.

  • Cars & Trucks Master
  • 42,060 Answers

At the base of the knob there may be a small silver collar that you can screw down the shaft a fraction. It is normally a lock nut that holds the position of the knob and stops it from turning.

Posted on Oct 14, 2013

3 Suggested Answers

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

  • 75807 Answers

SOURCE: boot cvj

Yes u do if u use a factory boot, but there is a special split boot in the aftermarket that lets you do it with the axle in place, call a large parts store and see if they make them for your application.

Posted on Dec 09, 2008

  • 361 Answers

SOURCE: 1988 F-150 5.0L V8 5speed manual. I've been

you are right the joint is worn out and its an easy fix.

Posted on Jul 19, 2010

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

Forum mitsubishi

loose bolts at transmission where stick connects to it. You might be able to fix it from the top by removing the expansion rubber thingy.

Sep 05, 2014 | Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

1999 Ford Explorer 5.0 V-8 PCV valve replacement

I haven't done this in a long time, so I'm not sure of the size PVC pipe you will need, but I think it is 3/4". Get a piece of 3/4" PVC pipe about 12 to 18 inches long. Length isn't very important, as long as it is over about 12". Cut a slot in the side of one end about 2 inches long and the width of the rubber boot that turns 90 degrees off the top of the PCV valve. Slide that pipe onto the valve with the hose sticking out of the slot, then rock it around until it slides out of the grommet. You can twist it a bit, but don't damage the rubber boot unless you have a replacement. If you need a bit more upward force, bend a coat hanger into a hook and use it to hook under the boot sticking out the side of the slot, You can grip the end of the hangar wire and the pipe at the same time as you rock and twist until the valve comes out. If you need to use the pipe to reinstall the new valve, you will need to make a 90 degree bend in the coat hangar wire and put it inside the slot in the pipe, to keep the top of the rubber boot from sliding up into the pipe when you put pressure on the valve to seat it into the mounting hole.

May 22, 2014 | 1999 Ford Explorer

1 Answer

How to put gear oil in..

The only place to put gear oil is in the "pumpkin". Otherwise called the rear-end.
To do so, I recommend driving the car backwards onto two ramps to raise the rear end up in the air, this also tilts the car forward.
Between the rear wheels, in the center of the axle, is a large metal container of gears and gear oil.
There should be a large hex-headed bolt less than half-way from the bottom to the top on the rear, facing your back bumper.
This is where the gear oil goes in, but after you take the bolt out, before you add any oil, stick your finger into the hole and try to feel the oil level.
If you can feel it, you don't need any more gear oil to be added.

Jan 21, 2013 | 1998 Ford Expedition

1 Answer


Smelling gases from outside usually means one of your rubbers have failed. Inspect all the rubbers on the firewall and the boot rubbers. May also be coming up from around the gear stick.

Mar 05, 2012 | Mazda 2 Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

Need help to realine tail sharfs Nisan Twin cab 1998 D22 Have a vbration when excelerating. Have put new clutch in and forgot to mark where tail sharft aligns

check your center support bearing on the shaft assembly. its most likely broken. its somewhat in the middle og the drive shaft. it has rubber boot. something tells methat the boot is torn and bearing has play in it. check and replace if you see separation/beeing broken.

Jun 03, 2011 | 2007 Nissan Frontier SE Crew Cab

1 Answer

Need to change the c.v boot joint, all undone but cant seem to release the lower ball joint, it a ford puma

Hi, loosen the ball joint nut but do not take it off all the way, leave it on so it covers the top half of the thread, now get yourself a decent ball head hammer and wack it below the ball joint nut where the ball joint sits, do not be shy, WACK it, after half a dozen wacks it should pop out, you may need to stick a long bar to put some pressure on the ball joint release side, usually downwards, this does not need to be a lot of pressure. I am sure you will get one of our experts saying to use a fork, splitter or some sort of separator, which is what mechanics use, these devices often damage the ball joint boot and your average guy does not have specialist tools, which is what it is, let me know if i can help any more.

Mar 26, 2011 | Ford Probe Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

Transmission is leaking after replacing the orginal with a used in a 88 crown vic how can i fix it and whats wrong with it?

the only places it can leak are the front and rear seals,The dip stick tube has an Oring or rubber boot on it, the pan gasket, And the over flow /breather tube on top of the transmission. If it's coming from the top then it is over filled. Most bad /excessive leaks come from the dip stick tube, damaged the Oring or forgot the rubber boot.

Feb 28, 2011 | 1988 Ford Crown Victoria

1 Answer

How to change front wheel c.v boot rubbers jeep 1995

In order to replace the boots, you need to remove the brake caliper and rotor, then remove the bearing hub from the steering knuckle. The axle will come out still attached to the joint and you can slide the boot on from the axle side. follow instructions that come with the boot to secure it to the joint.
When re-installing the axle, do not permit it to drag as it enters the gear set. If you do, you will knock the inner seal out. Keep it suspended 'till you feel it enter the gears.
To save time, & money, you may want to get a pair of complete axles from a scrapyard. Many times they are cheaper than the boot. If you need to separate the axles from the bearing hubs, you can bring them to a shop and have the end nut removed with an air gun. If you know you want them separated before you start the job, remove the cotter pin and use the appropriate sized socket on a one piece breaker bar with a fife foot or better pipe on the handle for leverage. Leave the vehicle on the ground and put your spare tire without the center cap attached and work through the center hole.
If you have a problem during the job, ask and I'll be happy to help.

Jan 07, 2011 | 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee

2 Answers

1990 Accord all forward gears work fine but Reverse makes a clicking noise and the car will not move in reverse.

bent or broken reverse gear linkage, inside the trans.or broken sliding reverse gear.

Sep 09, 2010 | 1991 Honda Accord

Not finding what you are looking for?
Cars & Trucks Logo

Related Topics:

22 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Cars & Trucks Experts


Level 3 Expert

75797 Answers

Colin Stickland
Colin Stickland

Level 3 Expert

22114 Answers

Randy Ohler

Level 3 Expert

14585 Answers

Are you a Car and Truck Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides