Question about Toyota Cars & Trucks
Posted by Anonymous on
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
SOURCE: HOW DO I SET DISTRIBUTOR TIMING?
Actual timing would depend on what engine is installed in the 1985 Corolla. There are some versions that uses the 4A-GE, 4A-GEC, 4A-C engines. There are even some Asian versions that used the 4K/B engines.
The correct method would be to use timing light, engine analyzer and some other test equipment, However, below is a quick and dirty procedure. Basically, to adjust the distributor timing, you need to:
1. make sure cylinder 1's piston is at firing position/TDC (top dead center);
2. crankshaft pulley's timing mark is between the markings on the engine with numbers on them;
3. unplug the rubber boot of the high tension wire for #1 cylinder;
4. connect to it a spare known good spark plug and allow to touch any metal surface of the engine;
5. slightly loosen the single locking bolt of the distributor stem;
6. turn ignition key to ON but not start;
7. carefully swing the distributor assembly till there is spark in the exposed spark plug;
8. tighten locking bolt.
You may need to readjust the distributor for highest idling RPM with the engine running by simply turning the entire distributor assy.
The timing mark must coincide with the specified advance for whatever engine is used by the Corolla. 8 degrees would be a fair start.
Extreme care when working with engine running; extremely high voltage at the high tension wires, distributor and ignition coil and the fan/belt has been known to catch loose clothing.
Hope this be of initial help/idea. Pls post back how things turned up or should you need additional information.
Good luck and kind regards.
Thank you for using FixYa.
Posted on Jul 09, 2008
Tips for a great answer:
Nov 17, 2016 | Toyota Cars & Trucks
Jun 28, 2016 | Toyota Cars & Trucks
Jun 20, 2015 | Toyota Cars & Trucks
Jan 23, 2014 | 2005 Toyota Tazz 130
Sep 17, 2009 | Toyota Camry Cars & Trucks
Feb 22, 2009 | 1996 Toyota Corolla
Oct 23, 2008 | 1997 Toyota Camry
Jun 25, 2008 | 2000 Toyota Corolla
3,828 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!