Question about 1996 Toyota Camry

1 Answer

Coolant blow out of the top side of engine causing engine to overheat. Looks like about a half inch diameter plug missing. Could this be the freeze plug? Can it be replaced?

Posted by on


1 Answer

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.


    An expert who has answered 20 questions.


    An expert that hasĀ over 10 points.


    An expert whose answer gotĀ voted for 2 times.

  • Contributor
  • 21 Answers

Yes it is and yes it can be replaced

Posted on Apr 24, 2009


1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

What is it, and how do I re-seal it when it is leaking coolant?

Freeze plugs need to have new ones pressed in

Sep 29, 2015 | Cars & Trucks

2 Answers

I have an 2001 ss camaro and I woke up to a puddle of antifreeze under her. Reservoir is full. Hoping it a nothing major but where is the location to the freeze plug

If you are sure that it is antifreeze and reservoir is full, start up your car and put it on car ramps or a rack and find the location of the leak. You can run the car until temp gauge registers mid-temp especially in cold weather. A fan blowing on the motor will help cool engine. Good luck finding the leak.

Feb 15, 2015 | 2001 Chevrolet Camaro

3 Answers

Where is the freeze plug located on a 1999 Chevy Lumina 3.1L

On the block ( the bottom part of the motor ) below the intake manifold

Jan 27, 2015 | 1999 Chevrolet Lumina

1 Answer

Where is the speed censor located in a 2004 dodge intrepid

It is located on the left side of the transmission about half way up the body toward the output end. Has a wire clip attatched and looks similar to a coolant sensor. (about 3/4 inch diameter and a couple inches tall)

Jul 17, 2014 | 2004 Dodge Intrepid

1 Answer

Hi I have a 1996 grand prix SE 3.1L engine. Its leaking a good amount of coolant, mostly from around the the back of the engine. I look under the car and can see also little driplets along the...

Yes, the pump is on passenger side. But when car is moving, the coolant that leaked can get blown all over, so you need to check carefully. Use rags to wipe off all the coolant you can see, then when more leaks out, maybe you can see where it comes from.
The noise on driver's side might be coolant boiling inside the engine. Be careful it doesn't overheat, or you will be doing the gasket job again.
On the backside of the engine (near the firewall), a couple of possibilities: the heater hoses are there, so check them for leaks. Also on the engine block, about halfway up the block, there are 3 or 4 freeze plugs, spaced evenly along the engine (also on the front side of the engine-the same freeze plugs. Check if any of these are leaking. Use a flashlight and maybe get under the engine to look around-be careful if you have to raise the car-don't trust a jack, but use blocks or jack stands.. The freeze plugs are round metal plugs about 1 1/2 inches in diameter, and pressed into the block. You can see or feel them. They can be punched out and new ones pushed in. But make sure you have one that is leaking before attempting that.
Good luck, Joe.

Mar 18, 2017 | 1997 Pontiac Trans Sport

1 Answer

My granddaughter and I cannot find the stick to check the transmission. My son and husband looked too and they know about cars.

it is on left side of engine looking from the top. its a small usually small plastic ball about a half inch in diameter on lower left side of transmission as you look at engine from top. you need to reach down to the left, the white plastic ball looks more like a plug, rather than a dipstick handle. this is a bugger when engine is hot. have a good day !!

Nov 29, 2010 | 1994 Eagle Summit

3 Answers

My 1997 Dodge Intrepid overheats. I've replaced the thermostat, and it continues to overheat. I noticed adjacent to one of the radiator hoses, a ribbed hose that is split. Could this cause the car to...

Now that you've eliminated the thermostat, it could be a number of other things. Don't drive the car too far until you've fixed the overheating problem - overheating can destroy an engine.

That split ribbed hose you see is plastic wire loom - it carries and protects electrical wires, and is not the cause of overheating.

1. Low coolant level
2. Radiator hose split/cracked, causing low coolant level.
3. Head Gasket - leaking, causing low coolant level
4. Thermostat - stuck closed (you eliminated this possibility)
5. Radiator cap - worn/damaged
6. Radiator fins - obstructed by debris/cardboard
7. Water Pump belt - missing/broken
8. Heater Core - leaking, causing low coolant level
9. Intake Manifold Gasket - leaking, worn, damaged
10. Radiator Fan Relay - faulty
11. Radiator Fan Blade - broken, missing
12. Radiator Fan Sensor/Switch - faulty
13. Water Pump - leaking, causing low coolant level
14. Radiator Fan Motor - faulty

My primary suspects would be Rad Fan Relay (#10), and
Rad Fan Switch (#12).

Oct 23, 2010 | 1997 Dodge Intrepid

1 Answer

Where can i find a freeze plug and change it

Freeze plugs (also called core plugs) are generally located on one or both sides of the engine block, about half-way between the oil pan and the head. They are usually about two inches in diameter, there are usually two or three of them on each side. There is no need to change them unless you are loosing coolant from one, indicating they have rusted out.
The bad news is, they are a press-fit into the block, and are generally difficult to remove and replace without pulling the engine, because there are often other things in the way.
Pull the truck up on ramps and get under it, if you can see the one that is leaking, and nothing is in the way, you can measure the size and get an expanding rubber type to replace it (from your local auto parts store). Use a short piece of wood (such as a piece of broom handle) and a hammer to drive the old plug into the engine (drain the coolant first, of course), it can be left inside the water jacket, it won't hurt anything there. Install the new rubber plug in its place and tighten the nut to expand it. Refill the coolant and check for leaks.

Aug 23, 2010 | 1987 Ford Ranger

1 Answer

Have an oil leak, and can't find out were it's at

feel aroung the back of the cylinder head. bet there is a missing casting plug. looks like a freeze plug thats in the block, and about 2 inches in diameter. if one of the 2 are missing it will leak under acceleration. a new one can be put in without removing to much stuff. cab air inlet, vaulve cover, the rear engine harness, then use an 18 inch prie bar to press ina new one with some sealant
good luck

Nov 06, 2009 | 1999 BMW 323 Series

2 Answers

My 2001 ford taurus is leaking coolant on the firewall side of the engine. is there a coolant hose on that side that could be leaking?

It could be a hose on top of the engine leaking back there. It could also be a freeze plug on the back of the engine. Its a round disk about 2-3" in diameter and is recessed about 3/8" into the block. Check those out and make sure all hoses are good and tight. Any hoses that are kind of puffed out above the clamp should be replaced

Sep 30, 2009 | 2001 Ford Taurus

Not finding what you are looking for?
1996 Toyota Camry Logo

Related Topics:

70 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Toyota Experts


Level 3 Expert

76164 Answers

Colin Stickland
Colin Stickland

Level 3 Expert

22156 Answers

Jeff Turcotte
Jeff Turcotte

Level 3 Expert

8273 Answers

Are you a Toyota Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides