Question about 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix

1 Answer

Cant stop rust on rocker panels

It isnt bad like any holes or anything deformed just blotchy rust. i cant seem to stop any suggestions would be greatly appreciated how to fix it. thanks adam I have a 2001 Grand Prix and I currently have no other problems but my rockers are terrible. I had them fixed last August when the rust was surface rust not they are shot. I even have some small holes starting.

Posted by on

1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 20 achievements.


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • Pontiac Master
  • 6,982 Answers

If someone could solve this problem forever they would become instant millionaires!!! (it is an ongoing problem with just about every vehicle forever (road salt and pitting from stuff that gets kicked up by tires, does not care what kind of vehicle it is) I generally use a product called rust killer. Just follow instructions on container. I have a Jeep (noted for rust there) I use rust killer, then cover the entire rocker with fiberglass, then spray the entire thing with bedliner coating. (if you need to match paint on car, just re-spray over it with correct colour)
The biggest problem is that the rust you see is not all the rust that's actually begins inside the panel where you can't get to ...that's why it bleeds rust stain through the paint before holes appear.
Good luck! Hope this helps you.

Posted on Apr 24, 2009

1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

My 98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP is leaving parallel (front-to-back where the tires are) yellow-orangish stains in my driveway. I can't find any leaks.

Sure sounds like rusty rocker panels.When it rains water at the windshield drains into the rockers and out along the bottom of the rocker panels.If they are showing rust on the outside they are rusted on the inside.

Jun 01, 2017 | 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix

1 Answer

Stalled the engine and now struggling to start and idle and making bad topend noise,as if valves are hitting pistons. Any suggestions?

If it starts then I would leave that possibility to last. I would remove the rocker cover and check the operation of the rockers as one may have slipped sideways and is not directly over a valve stem. t is also possible to check the valve timing with the rocker cover off. Turn the engine clockwise until the rockers on no 1 cylinder start to move watch these rockers and when you see no1 exhaust rocker start to come up then it will be getting close . Keep turning until you see the exhaust rocker stop moving up and the inlet no1 cylinder rocker start to go down. Move the crank back and forth until you get the position of movement either way moves either rocker. This is called valve overlap and if you look at the timing mark on the harmonic balancer pulley then the mark will be almost /on TDC
I would then run the fault codes as there may be other problems that caused the stall situation.

Aug 26, 2014 | 2006 Fiat Strada 1.6

1 Answer

Car type citreon ds3. water *********** coming in dont know were but it has settled under the door ,(not in door) when you turn corner you hear it ttaveling from side to side on passenger side.

from you description it might be in the rocker panel ( that section under the door ). Some cars have a small rubber plug on the inside underneath to let the water out and if there is water in there I would think that the car has been submerged lately and there will be a rust problem very soon. This rocker panel is the basic strength of the car and if it rusts will mean the car will be put off the road for safety reasons. Try doing a search of the history of the vehicle through insurance , registration, finance . A possible fix is to drill a small hole at the lowest point and let the water out and inject a large amount of water dispersant inside , let it drain out and then fill the cavity with a good quality rust inhibitor . Talk with a panel beater as to ideas to be used.

May 07, 2014 | Ford Mondeo Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

1999 windstar rocker panel

rocker panels are that section of the body that runs from the front door pillar to the rear of the rear door. In effect they are the chassis part of the car under the door openings . If they are rusted out then there is no body strength in the cabin and the car could break in half at the first pot hole. The best advice would be to junk it as repairs would be worth more than a new car. If you were to have a full inspection done there would be more rust that is hidden and the car is virtually a death trap. The 2k you have been quoted will blow out because when the panels are removed there will be more rust at the points they are welded to.

Sep 28, 2013 | Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

Rocker panels are rusted out

It won't be cheap. The rusted panels have to be cut out and new sheet metal welded in place. Most people just live with it.

Feb 25, 2013 | 1994 Buick LeSabre

1 Answer

What causes wet passenger side floor in 2000 chrysler 300m?

You may have a rusted floor kicking up water, or a door seal may be leaking. check for both. In my 96 convertible it comes from the rocker panel filling up with water after a rain and it spills into the rear floorboards. It could be similar, although I don't see how a rocker can fill up like that in a hardtop. Check it out anyway, and run a coat hanger through the weep holes between the rocker and the floorboard where they are welded together They form a ridge on an angle like this: \\ on the lip and forms a small tube. This tube gets clogged with stuff and has to be routed out with that coat hanger from time to time. Eventually it will rust out and the problem will go away!!

Sep 26, 2011 | 2000 Chrysler 300M

1 Answer

I have rust below my doors its bad what do i do

Rust on door bottoms and rocker panels below that is common on those. You can do the repair yourself using fiberglass resin and cloth. it's not difficult but takes time and it's very messy.
You can replace the doors using doors from a wreck (scrapyard) problem there is that it's a bit expensive and since rust there is common, it may be hard to find ones without rust...even harder if you want to match the color. Rockers need to be removed and welded in (also expensive) if you decide to replace rather than using glass.
There are many on-line instructions dealing with fiberglass repairs. Definitely watch them before working with it.
If the rust has not gone through the metal, sand it down and use "rust killer" on it, prime and paint.
I generally use bed liner spray on lower parts of doors as it makes a tough durable finish that can either be painted to match or left black (actually looks classy on certain vehicles, especially if you extend it from bumper to bumper)

Feb 09, 2011 | 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee

1 Answer

I got a flat, rear drivers side, and i dont have the factory jack. i have my moms jack but there doesnt seem to be a jack support spot, so i tried using the frame but it started to bend and the door...

if anything is bending ,it probably isnt the frame you have the jack on (probably the rocker panel ),which will definately bend .the frame is further in under the vehicle ,but do make sure the jack you are using fits well on the frame .

Dec 07, 2010 | 1995 Geo Tracker

1 Answer

Cant stop rust on rocker panels

POR 15 or Rust Bullet both work very, very well.

Apr 02, 2009 | 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix

1 Answer

Focus - rusted rocker panels

this is a very costly repair. I would get estimates for repair before the area gets to bad. After repair have the car undercoated and the panels sealed on the inside.

May 29, 2008 | 2003 Ford Focus

Not finding what you are looking for?
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Logo

698 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Pontiac Experts


Level 3 Expert

75197 Answers

Colin Stickland
Colin Stickland

Level 3 Expert

22095 Answers

Jeff Turcotte
Jeff Turcotte

Level 3 Expert

7782 Answers

Are you a Pontiac Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides