Question about Honda Cars & Trucks
I own a Honda 2001 accord and recently I changed the battery and the word code showed up on my radio... I didn't look it up and began just punching numbers in... I didn't realize you only have so many tries and now the word code is locked on my radio for good .. Any suggestions as to resetting it?... I do have the code now but will I have to take it in to the Honda dealership to get a new code?...
Posted by Anonymous on
Disconnect the main battery for 3 hrs reconnect and input the correct code
Posted on Jul 31, 2017
Take it in to the Honda dealer
Posted on Jul 31, 2017
a 6ya Mechanic can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US.
click here to Talk to a Mechanic (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
SOURCE: Radio code for 95 Honda accord
You’ll have to get the audio system serial number and take it to a Honda dealer. They should be able to get that information for you. Since your local Honda dealer is being such jerks, you can go through Customer Service at American Honda Motor Co. They provide a service (at https://radio-navicode.honda.com/) to help retrieve Radio and Navigation codes (for free). Your phone number and ZIP code must match those on their file, so be sure to get that information updated before you start the retrieval process.
Posted on Dec 17, 2008
Owners manual says leave it turned on for an hour and you'll be able to try entering the code 3 more times. get the SN off of the radio and call honda with your name, your VIN, and the radio sn.
Posted on Apr 08, 2009
Unless the Accord was jump started, creating possible power surge to damage radio, it should not of had any relationship to the radio.
But, just in case, would suggest disconnecting battery for 5 minutes, reconnecting battery, reentering radio code and see what happens.
If that fails, hopefully your under 36k miles or got the Factory extended warranty "Honda Care" Service plan, so take to the Honda Dealership to see what they say.
Posted on May 04, 2009
*** Please click the "Was this helpful" Yes thumbs up! ***
FREE and EASY methods to get your Honda radio UNLOCK CODE. (Dealerships usually charge)
Assuming you don't have the Anti-Theft Code and Serial Number that is found on the credit card sized Anti-Theft Radio Identification Card that comes with the vehicle at the time of purchase and is usually found in the glove compartment....
You have FREE options to retrieve that code by phone or on the internet BUT, the RADIO SERIAL NUMBER is REQUIRED (no matter what). (see bottom about removing ERROR E3)
***IF your Honda was made BEFORE 2001 the serial number MAY not be accessible without removing the radio from the vehicle.***
* TO GET THE SERIAL NUMBER (so that you can get the unlock code)
1. Get something to write with and on (you'll need it to write down the serial number)
2. Put the ingnition key in and turn it until your able to turn your radio on (accessories position).
3. Then turn your radio OFF by it's knob/button (but leave the ingition key in place).
4. Hold down the preset buttons 1 and 6 at the same time.
5. Turn the radio on while pressing down both the 1 and 6 buttons.(***IF your Honda doesn't have preset buttons on the radio then hold down the top part of the 'Seek/Skip' button AND the top part of the 'Change Disk' button instead.*** )
6. Write down the 4 numbers you see first and then 4 more that display. These eight numbers are the SERIAL NUMBER. This is NOT your CODE.
7. Make sure your VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) is handy to get the unlock code. (can be found on your insurance card, driver's side door jam, small plate on dashboard by registration and inspection stickers, etc)
* TO GET THE UNLOCK CODE (using the radio Serial Number and VIN)
1. Go to https://radio-navicode.honda.com/ (YES, it's run BY HONDA and IT'S FREE)
2. Follow on screen instructions (Serial Number and VIN required)
3. Type in the 5 digit code into your radio. This will unlock the radio and return it to a functional state.
1. Call American Honda Customer Relations (800) 999-1009
2. When the automated message starts 'Press 3' for 'Radio and Navigation Codes'.
3. Tell the Customer Service Agent you need your radio code. (They will ask for your name, your radio's serial number, VIN, etc)
4. When they give you your radio unlock code--WRITE IT DOWN and KEEP IT SAFE!
5. Type in the 5 digit code into your radio. This will unlock the radio and return it to a functional state.
* REMOVING ERROR E3
****If you entered too many wrong codes and got an ERROR E3 message displaying you'll need to do an additional step for even the correct unlock code to work.****
Disconnect your negative battery terminal (or pull the radio fuse out if that's easier for you) for 30 seconds then reconnect it and then the radio will say "CODE" again and you can put in your correct unlock code.
So what happened to begin with?
See also: http://automobiles.honda.com/information/frequently-asked-questions.aspx?Question=2
If the power from your battery to the Honda radio is interrupted the Anti-Theft feature kicks in, the radio is rendered inoperable and the screen reads 'CODE'. You must enter in the Anti-Theft Radio Unlock Code (usually 5 digits) to make it operational again. You know that much by now.
Posted on Sep 09, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
Feb 10, 2015 | 2001 Honda Accord
Aug 13, 2010 | 2001 Honda Accord
May 17, 2010 | 2004 Honda Accord
Apr 07, 2010 | 2002 Honda Accord
Mar 04, 2009 | 2002 Honda Accord
46 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!