Question about Toyota Cars & Trucks
Posted by Anonymous on
a 6ya Mechanic can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US.
click here to Talk to a Mechanic (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
SOURCE: 1998 toyota rav4 5gear jumps
Dunno what it is either
our 97 rav jumped out of gear on a hill(up) at 110km/h, the over rev through a rod through the side of the block
so get it fixed
Posted on Nov 03, 2008
SOURCE: rav4 gear problem
You need a new 5th gear- luckily this is easy to replace- I did it myself following online directions for 5th gear replacement. The 5th gear is not in the box with the other gears- its off to the side so you can access it very easily by removing the left front wheel. Just don't let the idler assembly come apart, lots of tiny parts and springs...
The 5th gear can ware out prematurely if you rest your hand on the shifter- do not rest your hand on the shifter in the future.
Posted on Feb 18, 2009
you need to remove the rear seat to get to it, just keep in mind the system is preasurized, which in english means you need to loosen the fuel filter in the front of the car first, "THIS IS CRITICAL" if not you will cause gas to get all over the interior. The 96-00 rav4 has a hatch under the carpet, under the seats in the rear. it is a pain to get to, once you remove the seats and carpet you will see it. I would recomend you bring it to a dealer if you dont know what you are doing. But if you are like me and figured what the hell, then you will want to take these steps first...
1. Let the car sit for a long period of time, about 3 hours or more.
2. Have a low amount of fuel, do not have a full tank
3. loosen the gas cap
4. Remove the intake, and the fuse box,
5. Loosen the top nut on the fuel filter under the hood to let out the remaining pressure, do not loose the O rings. This is a good time to replace that filter too, it is about 30 bucks from toyota.
6. open the hatch in the rear,
7. remove the electric feeds from the pump.
NOTE: YOU CAN REMOVE THE POWER FROM THE PUMP AND START THE CAR TO TAKE OUT THE PREASURE, BUT I FOUND IT BETTER TO DO IT MY WAY DUE TO WHAT IT TAKES TO START IT AFTER YOU DO THIS.
8. line the floor of the rav with Plastic, bags, or cardboard, or something.
9. remove old pump
10. install new pump
11. Re attach the fuel filter or install new filter
12. get car back together enough to start it, make sure you have all the lines connected, if not gas will get everywhere...
Good Luck, it was a FUN adventure to do this...
Posted on Aug 26, 2010
SOURCE: Is my 1998 Toyota RAV4
According to this website by Gates, a maker of timing belts, that engine is free running and does not have an interference problem.
Posted on Mar 16, 2011
Tips for a great answer:
Aug 19, 2016 | 1998 Toyota RAV4
Mar 25, 2015 | 2009 Toyota Camry XLE V6
Sep 08, 2011 | 1998 Toyota RAV4
Mar 16, 2011 | 1998 Toyota RAV4
Dec 26, 2010 | 1997 Toyota RAV4
Apr 20, 2010 | 1998 Toyota RAV4
Nov 07, 2009 | 1998 Toyota RAV4
Jan 21, 2018 | 1997 Toyota Tacoma
55 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!