Question about Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

Striped calaber blts

These are the sunken kind that take an elen wrench. There is no head to grab on to with vice grips.every elen wrench I have is either too small or to large.

Posted by on


1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    Top Expert:

    An expert who has finished #1 on the weekly Top 10 Fixya Experts Leaderboard.


    An expert that got 20 achievements.


    An expert that got 10 achievements.

  • Cars & Trucks Master
  • 77,201 Answers

Cut the bolts off with a die Grinder.

Posted on May 01, 2013


3 Suggested Answers

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya Mechanic can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US.
click here to Talk to a Mechanic (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

  • 973 Answers

SOURCE: 99 silveradofrontcaliper removaltorx head style

You could chisel the head off and use a Broken Screw or Bolt Extractor to remove the rest of the bolt. I don't know why GM continues to use Torx Head Bolts on those type of applications, the bolt heads always get stripped out.

Posted on Jul 18, 2010

  • 40 Answers

SOURCE: i can't get a wrench on the bleeder. will a pair

For a simple answer yes, it will work BUT before you do.

Take a hand help propane torch and heat up the area (very close) to the bleeder first this will expand the the area around the bleeder thus making it easier to loosen. This may have to be done several times. The reason i say this, is you may have to loosen and tighten the bleeder several times( so you dont break the bleeder off) to get it to loosen all the way to be able to turn it out. MAKE sure to replace the bleeder after you have used a vise-grips on it.

Posted on Nov 10, 2010

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

2 Answers

I have tried everything I know to remove a stripped oil drain plug. Any ideas?

is the head stripped or threads stripped if head grind down to next size or rectangle for wrench or vice grip if threads better to drop the pan to inspect for filings as well as easier removal of plug

Sep 22, 2016 | 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab Sport

1 Answer

Top shock nut stud spins with nut and wont loosen

If you don't have access top an air gun or electric impact it's not easy. Look at the top of the strut and you will see that it either has a hole in it for an Allen wrench or it is cut for a wrench.
With the Allen wrench type, slide a socket onto the nut and then put the Allen wrenchy in place. Turn the socket with a pair of Vice-Grips while you hold the Allen Wrench. A sharp snap should get it loose.
If it has the wrench style end, usually a box end wrench will hold the shaft whilt you turn the nut with another wrench. Sometimes it will strip and you'll have to grab it with Vice-Grips.

Aug 12, 2013 | Cadillac Eldorado Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

Can't remove right front caliper bolt to replace brake pads on 1984 toyota pickup deluxe king cab 22re, now the bolt is striped, broke the 17mm open end wrench also try to hit the sock wrench with...

Might want to get it all buttoned back up and head to a shop. Maybe even call first. Ask if they can use an impact gun to break it loose for you and hand tighten it so you can get back home. A good mechanic should even have tools that will grip a rounded bolt head.
This is a type of good friendly service I would provide to people (until they abused my kindness and mistook it for weakness).

Sep 05, 2011 | 1984 Toyota Pickup Deluxe

1 Answer

How do you change out a broken front wheel stud on a 1999 Isuzu Rodeo

if it is broken at a point where you can still grab hold of the stud partially try using a pair of vice grips and maybe even the boxed end of a longer wrench around one of the handles of the vice grip for added leverage. if it's broke off flush with the rotor you'll need a strong enough drill with a carbide tip and an easy out aka an extraction kit to back it out of the threads. A little bit of heat from a torch or some penetrating oil might help loosen it up as well. Just remember one or the other not both or you may need a fire extinguisher. good luck

Apr 01, 2011 | 1999 Isuzu Rodeo

1 Answer

I have sebring and the window went down and wont go back up how do i get the window up manuel....

This is what I have done in the past. Pry apart the rubber where the window comes out. Use a pair of vice grips, but put something cushiony around the window and between the jaws of the vice grips, then secure the vice grips hard enough to grab the window but not hard enough to break it. Then pull the window up until you can grab the window with your fingers and pull it the rest of the way up.

Aug 04, 2010 | 2004 Chrysler Sebring

1 Answer

How can I remove a striped edged noxygen sensor

if the edges are rounded off and socket or wrench slip try small pipe wrench or vice grips pre soak with penetrate oil

Mar 08, 2010 | 2001 Nissan Sentra

3 Answers

Plug was overtightened .. subsequently stripped .. took it in for an oil change & they tried a vice grip on the plug .. no movement but bolt head is gone . I need remobe the plug .. I have a new...

They should have never used a vice grip. You always use a socket on any hard to remove bolts because it provides equal force around the entire bolts. Vice grips only grab two sides.
You can try a bolt extractor, you can purchase them at Lowes and other places.
If it doesn't work, you will need a new oil pan.
Stop going to the place(s) that put it on too tight, and tried to take it off with vice grips.

Feb 27, 2010 | 2004 Chrysler Pacifica

1 Answer

How to cahange O2 Sensors

Similar to a spark plug, located in one or two of several areas. Usually on the leading exhaust pipe before the catalytic converter and / or on the exhaust manifold. I use a vice grip to grab the hex head whereas a special wrench is needed. When loosening, do not turn off but tighten and loosen rapidly, back and forth with short movements. It is a pipe thread or tapered thread.

Feb 10, 2010 | 1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT

2 Answers

Star pin heads striped on caliper and won,t come loose what can I do it,s a 2000 silverado

they are called torque screws or some come with Alan screws at this point you could try using a pair of vice grips that would be my best recommendation unless you buy a set of torques and try a larger size and type it onto the screw.... I hope this helps

Nov 07, 2009 | 2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500

2 Answers

How to remove a strippped oil change nut on a 1997 Mazda Protege

use vice grips they lock on tight or a pipe wrench [plumbers] as the harder you pull the tighter they grip!
Remember its anti clockwise to undo the plug!
& somtimes its a good trick to tighten the nut just to break the toque seal! then it can be undone!
Cheers Rob

Jun 30, 2009 | 1997 Mazda Protege

Not finding what you are looking for?
Cars & Trucks Logo

Related Topics:

28 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Cars & Trucks Experts


Level 3 Expert

77201 Answers

Colin Stickland
Colin Stickland

Level 3 Expert

22265 Answers

Randy Ohler

Level 3 Expert

14585 Answers

Are you a Car and Truck Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides