How do I change the Serpentine belt on my 2001 Hyundai Accent?
Thank you for the inquiry.
Let's try this procedure:
1) Raise and support the front of the car on jack stands. Remove the passenger-side tire/wheel assembly, using a lug wrench. Remove the inner splash shield to gain access to the crankshaft pulley, using a 10-mm socket. Remove the accessory belts by loosening the tensioner with a wrench.
2) Remove the water pump pulley, using a socket. Remove the crankshaft pulley bolt, using a ½-inch drive socket followed by the pulley. Remove the upper and lower timing belt covers, using a 10-mm socket.
3) Insert the crankshaft pulley bolt back into the nose of the crankshaft so the engine can be turned. Turn the engine clockwise until the timing mark on the crankshaft sprocket and block are aligned and the camshaft sprocket hole and mark on the camshaft-bearing cap are aligned. There is a dot on the crankshaft sprocket and a corresponding dot on the block at the one o'clock position. There is a hole in the camshaft sprocket, which is at the 12 o'clock position. A dot can be seen through the hole in the camshaft sprocket when it is vertical and lined up perfectly.
4) Loosen the two bolts in the timing belt tensioner and pry the tensioner away from the timing belt, using a screwdriver. While holding the tensioner away from the belt, loosely tighten the two bolts to hold the tensioner in its current position. Remove the timing belt.
5) Install the new timing belt, starting on the right side opposite the tensioner. Start at the crank and work up and over the camshaft sprocket, keeping tension on the right side or opposite the tensioner. Loosen the bolts on the tensioner and allow the tensioner to apply pressure to the belt.
6) Rotate the engine two times clockwise and re-align the timing marks. If the marks align perfectly, tighten the two bolts in the belt tensioner. If they do not align, turn the crank or cam sprocket to align and re-install the belt. Replace the remainder of the parts in reverse order of removal.
I hope we've provided you useful assistance and that this information allows you to proceed from here. Please be sure to vote on my response.
I hope I've earned a good rating from you today.
Please post a comment if you need additional assistance so that I can help you further.
Jun 03, 2011 |
2001 Hyundai Accent