Engine shut down when a shift to neutral
The throttle body is contaminated and carbon fouled. To clean the throttle body do the following:
1. Take the key out of ignition cylinder and put it out side the car.
2. Remove the battery negative terminal.
CAUTION: Before removing the negative terminal keep in mind that you have to relearn the some systems like idle speed relearn, clock reset, navigation system relearn (if any) and windows relearn.
3. Remove the air filter hose.
4. Wrap a fiber free cloth around your index finger, dip it in a clean solvent like gasoline (keep the gasoline container well capped, away from open flame or fire and in cool open air) NOTE: pour all the remaining gasoline back into the car fuel tank immediately after finishing your job.
4. Force the throttle plate against the spring to wide open it and hold it open by placing a wooden or plastic screw driver head on one side to keep it open and care fully wipe off the carbon from opposite side of the screw driver head. Now place the screw driver head on the other side which you have recently cleaned and similarly clean the carbon deposits from the other side. Hold the throttle plate with your finger head and take the screw driver out. DO NOT PLACE YOUR FINGER BETWEEN THE THROTTLE PLATE AND THE INNER WALL OF THE BARREL OF THROTTLE BODY, OTHER WISE YOU WILL INJURE YOUR FINGER..
As I have said hold the plate on the area between the outer edge and the center rod of the throttle plate, to hold it for a while, slowly release the plate and carefully take your finger out.
5. Install the air filter hose.
6. Clean the element air cleaner with compressed air.
7. Sit on a driver's seat, close all doors, lower the driver side window, place the gear in neutral or Parking, pull up the hand brake, lift your foot from brake pedal, close all the accessories like radio, room light, parking light and start the engine.
8. Hold the engine speed at 3000 rpm till the radiator fan comes on.
9. As the radiator fan comes on,release the accelerator peddle and let it idle for 10 minutes to complete the idle speed relearn process.
THE JOB IS COMPLETE.
Dec 10, 2013 |
Toyota Yaris Cars & Trucks