Question about 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee

4 Answers

Oil leak near the oil filter and sending unit.

I have a 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 4.0L inline 6. What is the thing called that the oil filter screws to and is there a gasket or an o-ring that is there? If so how does it come apart there are no bolts. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by on

4 Answers

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.


    An expert whose answer got voted for 2 times.

  • Contributor
  • 1 Answer

I am an "x" mechanic and had the same problem with my 94 jeep grand.

This is an adapter block that connects to you engine. The chrysler designer didn't leave enough room to put on an oil filter so the put a 90 deg bracket on to miss the frame.

At the end of this adapter you will see a ,large looking bolt with a star insert. This is called a torx.
I will have to look tonight but my memory is saying it is a 20x torx. The problem is the std torx socket is to long. 2-3" you only have 1-1/2" to get torx and ratchet between frame and adapter. I modified a std torx to be shorter. You insert into a 3/8 ratchet and put a small pipe on ratchet. This give more leverage. This torx bolt is very tight.

It is easer to remove from the bottom of car. Once it is loose you can remove oil filter first before doing or just leave oilf filter on the bracket. be shore to dump out oil before remounting bracket. There are two o'rings between engine and bracket. From the heat crack making the oil filter look like it is leaking. My engine starter was always wet with oil. After I replaced the o'rings it has never leaked again. I also saw oil leaking from my oil switch. I replaced it also. The chrysler dealer had the o'rings apprx $3.00. 1 large and one small for bolt I bought the oil sensor from Salvo's $15.00

Or you need to take to dealer.

Yes you are not crazy!. It is really leaking there.

Wm. Michael L

Posted on Mar 13, 2009

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.


    An expert that has over 10 points.


    An expert whose answer got voted for 2 times.

    Problem Solver:

    An expert who has answered 5 questions.

  • Contributor
  • 6 Answers

I just want to say from experience that it is not a part of the block, the name of that part is the Oil Filter Adapter, and it requires a T60 Male Torx bit. The female connection, or where it comes loose is just to the right of the oil filter, the big round flat part should have a hole right in the center of it, it is difficult to get on but you can get a wrench on the torx bit and I just used a pipe slid down over the wrench to break mine loose. Also when you are torquing on it remember that it is at an angle so you wont torque straight and strip it.

Posted on May 29, 2009

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Vice President:

    An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.


    An expert that has over 500 points.

  • Expert
  • 149 Answers

The part that u refer to is part of the block assembly and not removable. The replacement oil filter should have an o-ring around it to stop leaks.
If it is still leaking it may be leaking from the valve cover above and running down. Good luck. Dont forget to rate.

Posted on Mar 11, 2009

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.

  • Contributor
  • 2 Answers

Sledge1863 is completely WRONG.

That is NOT part of the block. First poster has it completely right.

Posted on May 21, 2009

  • burntkat Feb 26, 2011

    Additionally, realize the factory puts this part on with loctite RED formula- it's there "permanently". My mechanic charged me $50 to break loose that bolt. WELL worth the money. He only charged me $75 to do the whole job, and had it done in an hour. I'd struggled with it for an entire weekend (and I'm not an amateur, by any means!)


1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

Oil leaks on my jeep grand cherokee 2000

Most common are valve cover gaskets worn out...especially the inline 6 cylinder...inspect the oil pressure sending unit located beside the oil filter...these are the most common and least costly fixes...Hope this helps.

Aug 03, 2012 | 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee

1 Answer

Oil leaks from oil pressure sending unit on my 1994 jeep grand cherokee limited v8 5.2 liter

Replace it immediately the leak will only get worse. On some, you may need a sending unit socket, unless it has flat sides that will work with a wrench. Wrap the thread with teflon tape (one turn) to prevent it from leaking there and do not over-tighten or it will snap off.

Jul 05, 2010 | 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee

2 Answers

Where is the oil pressure sending unit on a 1993 jeep grand

on the 4.0 motor Under hood, passenger side, lower engine area, rear of distributor, mounted in engine block.
on the v8 Under hood, center, rear engine area, passenger side of distributor, mounted in block.

Feb 09, 2010 | 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee

2 Answers

Oil pressure gauge shows 60-80

the oil sending unit that screws in the block beside the oil filter may be faulty,
the worst thing would be the oil pump its self the regulator valve on it

Jan 26, 2010 | 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee

2 Answers

Oil leak from sensor

It's called an oil pressure sending unit. There are two versions one for vehicles with a light on dash, one for those with a gauge. It's not expensive and MUST be replaced. Not hard to do.

May 11, 2009 | 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee

1 Answer

Oil leak at filter

there is a oring between the block and the filter housing. be carful because changing that oring is a pain kdc744

Jan 23, 2009 | 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee

1 Answer

`1992 jeep cherokee lorado straight inline 6 oil leaking from the where the oil filter attaches to the motor

I'm fairly certain that the parts stores carry the oil filter adapter gasket. Check around for it and make sure both surfaces are very clean. I like to use a FILM of sealant on both sides of the gasket and install. The reason why you use the sealant is to compensate for any irregulatities of both surfaces. You also might want to install a new oil pressure sending unit to the adapter while you have it off. That is another place where you could have a leak. They like to wear out prematurely also.

Jun 20, 2008 | 1992 Jeep Cherokee Briarwood

Not finding what you are looking for?
1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Logo

654 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Jeep Experts


Level 3 Expert

71162 Answers

Colin Stickland
Colin Stickland

Level 3 Expert

22059 Answers

Jeff Turcotte
Jeff Turcotte

Level 3 Expert

6992 Answers

Are you a Jeep Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides