- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Check for blown fusible link and possible bad relay. On relay, with everything off and hot battery hook u battery and give it ten minuets or so, then feel the top of eac relay. if you find a warm or hot one Bingo!
at alternator gig wire battery voltage,one wire battery volts one less . battery volts wire goes to automatic shut down relay, less then battery voltage wire to pcm fuse will be 20 amp just ck all that size.
Sounds like a bad alternator. Drained your battery and when you turned on the lights it took all the power left in your battery. When you drain a battery down that far, they are real hard to jump, and coupled with the alternator, the car is not producing enough current to start and stay running.
I would take the alternator off and take it to oyur local auto parts store to be tested. If bad, replace it and charge the battery fully before starting. Then check voltage at battery with motor running. Should be 13.2 -14 Volts DC. If not, you may have a bad battery cable or blown fusible link. (especially that if the alternator tests good).....Mike
check all fuses, if one is blown replace and see if it blows instantly. If it does then those wires to that circuit are melted causing a short which could be draining the battery. but also check the battery with a cold draw test to make sure batt is good. could of been a ground wire under dash that smoked but you should be able to locate a melted casing on a wire. check battery first to be sure.
Mitsubishi uses a square block fuse for its alternator . Usually it is under the hood in the fuse box , sometimes it is part of the positive battery clamp. If this fuse blows even though the battery is good and the alternator is working perfectly, the battery will discharge and the charge light on the dash will not tell you. You will drive until the battery goes dead and the car stops. Take a flash light and check all the fuses under the hood till you find the block fuse for the alternator. If it is blown , replace it and your problem should be solved. It is real easy to blow the fuse if you short the power at the back of the alternator to ground ( an alternator installation, where the battery cable is not unhooked).
You should be able to to check for voltage directly at the the largest of the wires going to the alternator[black with an orange tracer].If you have no power then you have a blown fusible link,from the starter solenoid to the positive battery post.]If you have power then you either need a new rectifier put in the alternator or the charge lamp bulb is blown.
Use a volt meter and make sure the battery has 11 volts or better. If not the battery does need replacing. Anything under 11 volts tells you the battery is no good to use any longer and will not hold a charge