Question about 2002 Dodge Intrepid
How do you install a new car battery in a 02 intrepid ES 3.5?
Since nothing about it is mentioned in the owners manual, and I just did this operation in the dark last evening, I will try to be very specific. My car was built in Canada and had both US and metric nuts and bolts. I had 1/2", 9 and 10 mm nuts and bolts. I used both wrenches and sockets.
1. Turn steering to far right. If the battery is dead, the powersteering pump will not be working, so it will take a good deal of effort. Be sure to have the ignition key in the On position so the steering wheel lock is open. This will allow the steering wheel to turn with damaging the mechanism.
2. I found it easiest to unclip the top of the air clear, loosen the clamp that hose clamp, and then remove the entire top of the cleaner. (If it has been awhile, suggest considering air cleaner filter replacement.)
3. To remove the bottom of the air cleaner assembly, there is a bullet shaped tipped anchor to the right of the housing. Lift up from underneath the housing until that side is free. There are two more anchors to the left inside of the housing, pull the housing to the right to free them. Remove housing and set aside.
4. Now the top of the battery is visible enough to see the battery clamp with two nuts holding the clamp. I found it easier to remove both nuts to get the clamp out of the way.
5. The right wheel access panel has five screws that will need to be removed. The access panel will come free by lifting from the bottom tab on the panel and wiggling the panel to move out of the wheel well.
6. Access to the battery terminal closest to the firewall side can come from the wheel well, or from the top. Loosen nut on the battery terminal clamp and free the cable. I found it best to get the cable back out of the way by trapping it in the nearby hoses.
7. Slide the battery away from the front (towards the firewall) so that access to the other battery terminal is made. Loosen the battery cable nut and free the battery from the cable.
8. I found it easier to slide the battery out the opening in the wheel well, but others mention lifting the battery from the top. At this point, whatever method is used feels like a major accomplishment.
9. Installation of the battery is using the reverese of these steps.
10. Buy a long life battery so that you don't need to go through this exercise again. I can't imagine doing this on the side of the road, in the winter, etc..
Posted on Mar 21, 2009
The battery is located in the right front fender area. You need to remove the inner splash shield, and the airbox to get to it. Little time consuming, but fairly easy/straight forward.
Posted on Mar 08, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Nov 18, 2013 | 2002 Dodge Intrepid
Car not starting or turning over indicates towards multiple possibilities.
It can be issue with battery or weak battery. But if battery checks out ok, then
it can be starter issue or faulty alternator or problem with low fuel pressure
or no spark at spark plugs due to dirty spark plugs or faulty
ignition coil or injectors getting cracked or dirty and needs to be cleaned.
To confirm the problem, the basic troubleshooting is required.
Click this link below and follow the troubleshooting:------
This will help.
Feb 13, 2012 | 1997 Dodge Intrepid
Nov 23, 2009 | 1998 Dodge Intrepid
Jun 04, 2009 | 1999 Dodge Intrepid
Jun 03, 2009 | 1999 Dodge Intrepid
May 16, 2009 | 2000 Dodge Intrepid
Mar 12, 2009 | 2002 Dodge Intrepid
Jul 30, 2008 | 2004 Dodge Intrepid
179 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: