Re: high pitch sound coming from radio, dash lights and...
It could be a lot of problems from the battery, battery cabals to the alternater. check to see if the battery post are caroted and needs cleaning. if sow remove the battery cables off of the battery then you can use baking soda and water which will help remove the corotion and nutrliz the acid on the battery posts. then clean the battery post and battery cabel clamps with a wire brush. if it is not the battery post take the car to autozone and have them see if thay can test the battery and altrnater on the car to see if ether one of them needs to be replaced
a 6ya Mechanic can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US. click here to Talk to a Mechanic (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. Goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
power problems, 12vdc not there. all the time. it drops out
do the head lights dim too, or dash lights
why on scan the ECU, and see if it shows , DTC for power loss
im guess, bad or loose fuse. remember bad fuses look bad, good looking fuses can be bad. (hair cracks or corrosion on pins)
wiggle all fuses. see what happen then. tell me all things that fail.
i bet there are more,
It's not high and low beam, it's the dash lights that are dim. I've hooked up many aftermarket radios but never knew it was a no no to hook up the dimmer/illumination orange wires in a '01 civic. I googled it and seen many others with similar issues like mine but nothing exactly like the issue I have.
All the dash lights work, they are dim though. The radio lights work but they are even more dim than the rest of the dash lights. I have check every single fuse under the dash and in the engine bay. The dim controller does not work at all now. I'm guessing that's the issue and from what I read, the dimmers circuit board is in the instrument cluster. Some can fix it, others can't.
I will probably end up buying a used instrument cluster off of ebay, they are not expensive. Hopefully that fixes it since everything else works.
Oh, yes, the brake lights work.
Ted, I think you answered the wrong question...I mentioned nothing about the battery or the low/hi beams
Sounds like you lost the charge from the alternator.
When the alternator quits charging your battery light comes on and your car will run on battery power only...and only for a short time.
As the battery gets its stored energy used up...everything that is electrical will get slow or dim.
I'd check your alternator for proper operation and its drive belt...
It sounds like a poor Ground connection, Start by checking the connector that connects to the Instrument Cluster then see if one wire is terminated to the Metal components of the Dash Board. This would be the Master Ground connection for ALL Instrument lights and typically would include any other Lights on the Same Circuit. You will most likely find a loose sheet metal screw making this Ground Connection. With a high resistance connection the lights would be somewhat dim. If they flash between Dim and Bright it is an intermittent connection causing it. Almost always this will be found to be a loose screw connecting the Ground to the Chassis.
If the battery and alternator tested fine. I would have the charging system rechecked when engine is hot and at high rpm's. This way the checks are being done as if you were driving and driving for a long time. Alternators can work fine when cold but weaken when hot or stop working. This problem is not rare but only is seen occassionly. Unless it was checked at an electrical shop the average shop doesn't run these tests for they don't see the problem often enough to automaticly run them at all times. Good luck and let me know how you make out.