Question about 1997 Honda CR-V
1997 CR-V as of today has steam come out of hood at idle; stoplights & such. I thought it could be condensation as it has been raining heavily for about 4 days. I heard it may be coolant levels. Any ideas?
This may be completely irrelevant to my problem, but just yesterday, I lost my gas cap and drove approximately 10 miles before noticing it was gone. I drove to delarer immedialtey & bought a new one. Would this have anything to do with it?
My '97 CR-V would get hot enough at idle to evaporate rainwater on the hood, but I've never had steam come out from under the hood that wasn't one of these few solutions:
1. Coolant system leak in which the coolant is somehow being leaked or displaced onto a very hot engine component such as the exhaust manifold.
2. EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) system failure in which fumes (and thus 'steam' or 'steam-like' discharge) are being introduced under the hood.
3. Exhaust leak near the engine.
4. Some (all?) vehicles cycle the A/C compressor whilst the selctor is in the DEFROST position. Is it possible that some condesate from the evaporator is spilling onto hot underhood engine parts?
5. Failure of supply hose to windwhield washer jets, usually caused by alcohol drying out the hose. Then, the washer fluid leaks on the hot engine, causing steam.
Check closely under there, I bet you find the problem.
Posted on Feb 27, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Dec 01, 2015 | Cars & Trucks
Sep 03, 2011 | 2000 Ford Taurus
Jun 01, 2011 | 2003 Jeep Liberty
Dec 11, 2010 | 1999 Chevrolet Venture
Dec 27, 2009 | 1997 Buick LeSabre
Oct 01, 2009 | 1997 Chevrolet Blazer
Sep 24, 2009 | 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan
338 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: