Question about 2000 Pontiac Grand Am GT
I have a 1990 pontiac 6000 LE 3.1 litre engine. The car runs fine when its cold but when its warm it will stall under idle or when driving and you let off the gas pedal. While the accelerator is pressed it works fine and does not hesitae to accelerate one bit. I have replaced the fuel fileter and even bypassed it replaced the sending unit as I found a leak in the old one. I am getting fuel pressure. I'm wondering if this is a TPS problem. I have not received any engine codes as of yet.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Sounds like your IAC (idle air control valve) located on the throttle body towards the front of the engine held in by 2 torx screws. the iac controls the idle if the car when your not on the gas. i will post the steps to clean the iac and the passages that the iac goes into.
1. disconnect the iac connector
2. remove the iac
3 clean the iac pintle valve and check for wear
4. clean the passages that the pintle valve sits in (usually carbon build-up in there, you may need to remove the air intake tube and air filter box to get to the passages in the throttlebody)
5. if the iac looks ok and the passages are cleaned re-install and put everything back
6. start car and see if it idles like normal when warmed up. you may need to give it a few tries for the iac to re-learn its proper position so give it a few warmup cycles
7. if it still stalls check for proper operation of the iac via ohming out the connectors (if you look it up on google you will find the specs at which the iac is supposed to operate)
8. if the iac is working properly, check for vacuum leaks on the intake manifold and vacuum lines.
9. if no vacuum leaks are present and the iac id working properly after cleaning have a shop check the ecm (engine control module) for a bad circuit board, i've seen that haoppen as well
hope this helps!
Posted on Feb 17, 2009
a 6ya Mechanic can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US.
click here to Talk to a Mechanic (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Dec 21, 2015 | Cars & Trucks
Engine cuts out at 3000 RPM?http://schematicsdiagram.blogspot.com/2011/12/engine-cuts-out-at-3000-rpm.html
Cold start problem and vehicle shudder around 2500 to 3500 rpms
High rpm in neutral? Inconsistant high RPM in neutral?http://technoanswers.blogspot.in/2012/02/high-rpm-in-neutral-inconsistant-high.html
Jetski Sputters and Low RPM? http://whatisbyme.blogspot.in/2012/07/jetski-sputters-and-low-rpm.html
Fuel Injection Problem And RPM suddenly increaseshttp://whatisbyme.blogspot.in/2012/07/fuel-injection-problem-and-rpm-suddenly.html
2005 Toyota Highlander: Engine runs hard RPM below 3000?http://whatisbyme.blogspot.in/2012/05/2005-toyota-highlander-engine-runs-hard.html
1987 Toyota Camry: RPM Drops going Up hills?http://whatisbyme.blogspot.in/2012/05/1987-toyota-camry-rpm-drops-going-up.html
Cruise Control stops working, Excessive cranks to start the engine and RPM goes max 2500 http://whoisbyme.blogspot.in/2012/07/cruise-control-stops-workingexcessive.html
1990 Toyota 4Runner: Engine cuts off when reaches 2000 RPM?
1999 Toyota Camry: Erratic stalling and high engine RPM at idle?
1995 Toyota LS: Misfire at idle or low RPMhttp://whatisbyme.blogspot.in/2012/04/1995-toyota-ls-misfire-at-idle-or-low.html
Lexus RX: Tapping noise under Valve Cover At Low RPM?http://technoanswers.blogspot.in/2012/04/lexus-rx-tapping-noise-under-valve.html
These will help.
Nov 22, 2012 | 2008 Toyota Avalon
Sep 12, 2011 | 1991 Pontiac 6000
Jun 27, 2017 | 1990 Pontiac 6000
Aug 26, 2010 | 1985 Pontiac 6000
Oct 02, 2009 | 1990 Volkswagen Cabriolet
Sep 28, 2009 | 1990 Pontiac 6000
Jun 04, 2009 | 1990 Pontiac 6000
3,055 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: