Question about 2000 Pontiac Grand Am GT
I have a 1990 pontiac 6000 LE 3.1 litre engine. The car runs fine when its cold but when its warm it will stall under idle or when driving and you let off the gas pedal. While the accelerator is pressed it works fine and does not hesitae to accelerate one bit. I have replaced the fuel fileter and even bypassed it replaced the sending unit as I found a leak in the old one. I am getting fuel pressure. I'm wondering if this is a TPS problem. I have not received any engine codes as of yet.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Sounds like your IAC (idle air control valve) located on the throttle body towards the front of the engine held in by 2 torx screws. the iac controls the idle if the car when your not on the gas. i will post the steps to clean the iac and the passages that the iac goes into.
1. disconnect the iac connector
2. remove the iac
3 clean the iac pintle valve and check for wear
4. clean the passages that the pintle valve sits in (usually carbon build-up in there, you may need to remove the air intake tube and air filter box to get to the passages in the throttlebody)
5. if the iac looks ok and the passages are cleaned re-install and put everything back
6. start car and see if it idles like normal when warmed up. you may need to give it a few tries for the iac to re-learn its proper position so give it a few warmup cycles
7. if it still stalls check for proper operation of the iac via ohming out the connectors (if you look it up on google you will find the specs at which the iac is supposed to operate)
8. if the iac is working properly, check for vacuum leaks on the intake manifold and vacuum lines.
9. if no vacuum leaks are present and the iac id working properly after cleaning have a shop check the ecm (engine control module) for a bad circuit board, i've seen that haoppen as well
hope this helps!
Posted on Feb 17, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Dec 21, 2015 | Cars & Trucks
Aug 26, 2010 | 1985 Pontiac 6000
Oct 02, 2009 | 1990 Volkswagen Cabriolet
Sep 28, 2009 | 1990 Pontiac 6000
Jun 04, 2009 | 1990 Pontiac 6000
Apr 28, 2009 | 1995 Saturn Sl
Mar 27, 2009 | 1995 Toyota Camry
Dec 20, 2008 | 1993 Ford Probe
3,038 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: