Question about 1996 Buick Regal Olympic Gold
I have a 1996 Buick Regal, The check engine light came on and the code was Shift Solinode Electric. How do I replace this part, and is it a big job or not.
The solenoid i think your looking for is inside the side cover of the transmission but you werent specific with which solenoid your looking for, there are a few solenoids in the transmission. its not a job for beginners and its difficult to get to on floor jacks. i will try to explain the process as i've done it before.
READ WHOLE THING FIRST BEFORE ATTEMPTING REPAIR
1. safely jack the front of the vehicle up and place on jack stands
(make sure parking brake is on) and disconnect negative battery
2. remove wheel on drivers side
3. remove caliper, bracket, and rotor
4. remove axle nut
5. unbolt tie rod end
6. unbolt lower ball joint
7. unbolt sway bar end link and remove axle
8. support engine with jack and a piece of wood
9. unbolt air pump and transmission mount
10. unbolt subframe on drivers side carefully
11. LOOSEN do not remove subframe bolts on passenger side
so the subframe drops a little bit on the drivers side
12. look on top of the engine bay and remove air box and tubes
13. remove or move anything else in the way of the top side cover
14. disconnect transmission connector
15. remove transmission side cover bolts (you may need to loosen
passenger side subframe bolts a little more to gain access to
the lower 3 or 4 bolts, also fluid will come out so have a catch
16. remove side cover carefully (might have to loosen the subframe
bolts a little more even to get the cover out)
17. locate the solenoid you are replacing (there are a few diff ones)
18. remove solenoid and replace solenoid.
19. make sure to replace the side cover gasket and the seal around
the axle hole
20. reverse the process for re-installation.
before you attempt this repair make sure for certain that the solenoid you are looking for is in fact located inside the side cover. the instructions i typed are for solenoid replacement in the transmission but you didn't specify which one so don't hold me responsible if these directions arent for the solenoid your looking for.
Posted on Feb 17, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Nov 08, 2015 | Plymouth Cars & Trucks
Oct 23, 2013 | Cars & Trucks
Feb 18, 2010 | 1984 Buick Regal
Nov 09, 2009 | 2000 Buick Regal
Oct 28, 2009 | 1994 Buick Regal Gran Sport
Jul 11, 2009 | 2006 Toyota Matrix
368 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: