An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.
An expert whose answer got voted for 20 times.
Re: remove and replace alternater on chev truck 4.3...
REMOVE OR DISCONNECT
Use a 1/2 inch breaker bar with a socket placed on the tensioner pulley axis bolt and rotate the tensioner to the left (counterclockwise). CAUTION: Do NOT allow the drive belt tensioner to snap into the "free" position as this may damage the tensioner.
INSTALL OR CONNECT
Route belt over pulleys except the belt tensioner.
Use a 1/2 inch breaker bar with a socket placed on the tensioner pulley axis bolt and rotate the tensioner to the left (counterclockwise).
Belt over the tensioner pulley.
Check the belt for correct "V" groove tracking around each pulley
a 6ya Mechanic can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US. click here to Talk to a Mechanic (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. Goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
The Contour alternator is somewhat harder to remove and replace than many cars. The 2.5-liter V6 engine is especially difficult, requiring removal of the right half-shaft to gain access.
WARNING!: ON BOTH ENGINES, BE CERTAIN TO REMOVE THE NEGATIVE BATTERY CABLE! FAILURE TO DO SO CAN RESULT IN DAMAGE AND/OR INJURY!
2.0 Liter engine (4-cylinder)
1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2. Remove air intake resonators.
3. Remove the air cleaner-to-throttle body tube and the mass airflow sensor.
4. Unplug the connectors and remove the cables from the alternator.
5. Raise and support the vehicle.
6. Release the drive belt tensioner and remove the drive belt from around the alternator. (It is not necessary to remove the drive belt from the engine.)
. Remove the alternator mounting bracket bolts and remove the mounting bracket.
8. Lower the vehicle.
9. Remove the power steering pressure hose bracket retaining nut and bolt and remove the bracket with the hose from the engine lifting eye.
10. Remove the alternator mounting bolts and remove the alternator from the vehicle.
11. To install, reverse the procedure.
2.5 Liter engine (V6 engine)
1. Disconnect the negative battery terminal.
2. use a box-end wrench to turn the tensioner pulley clockwise to release tension on the belt. Remove the drive belt from around the alternator. (It is not necessary to remove the drive belt from the engine.)
3. Raise and support the vehicle.
4. Remove the wheel.
5. Remove the wheel well splash shield assembly.
6. Disconnect the outer tie rod from the knuckle assembly, then remove the hub nut from the hub.Tap on the outer spline of the half shaft to make sure it is separated from the hub. Use a hammer and a block of wood to avoid damaging the spline by directly hammering it.
7. Remove the front exhaust Y-pipe from the exhaust system.
8. Unplug all the wires and connectors attached to the alternator.
9. Remove the retaining bolts from the alternator brace and then remove the brace.
10. Remove the halfshaft by pushing out on the knuckle to separate it from the hub and then prying it out of the transaxle with a large pry bar. (Be sure to set a pan beneath the transaxle to catch the fluid that will drain out.)
11. Remove the alternator mounting bolts and remove the alternator from the vehicle.
12. To install, reverse the procedure.
The 3.5 engine uses a serpentine belt which runs everything.
You would release the tension on the tensioner pulley and remove the belt. There should be a diagram on the hood or radiator support showing the belt routing. If not, be sure and draw a diagram before you remove the old belt.
remove the belt unbolt the tensioner and replace. the center of the tensioner has a half inch socket in it . put your pull handle in that socket like you would a normal socket wrench and rotate to relieve pressure on belt remove belt unbolt tensioner
- Remove the negative battery terminal and keep it away from the battery post.
- Loosen the the lower and upper alternator bolts.
- Push the alternator towards the engine block to release the belt.
- Install the new belt, place a lever between the alternator and engine block, move away the alternator to stretch the belt, leave about half an inch of free play on the belt and tight both the bolts.
The alternator will be located in the front of the engine on the drivers side. To replace it you must loosen the idler pulley and remove the serpintine belt, once the belt is off you must unhook any wires goin to the alternater and then there are two bolts at the bottom of the alternater holding it in place. Remove those and the alternater is loose then it may take some jockying back and forth to get it out. Obviously at this point the new one can go in the same way the old one came out.
There is a spring loaded tensioner on the belt line. You can put a wrrench or socket, usually 15mm, on the bolt and put pressure to turn the tensioner. Then carefully remove the belt from the pulley and gently allow the tensioner to release. When re-installing it. be very careful not to have your fingers under the belt, there is a large amount of pressure on the pulley.
From the top of the car remove the slide and anchor bolt from the alternater bracket. remove your 3 or 4 pin plug and diconnect the pos power line beside the 3 or 4 pin plug ( on the back of the alternater). now raise the car and from below remove the lower bolt that allows the alternater to swing back and forth. the bolt fits through the housing of the alternater. remove the belt. now the alternater is free. this lower bolt that was just removed attaches to a bracket bolted to the block. remove this bracket and the alternater will slide out of the bottom of the car. complete the above steps in reverse to install new part.