Brake lights dont work untill i turn the lights on, then stay on
When I apply the brake pedal the 3rd brake light comes on, but no tail lights. When I turn the lights on, the tail lights turn on but the brake lights also stay on. Turn signals were working then stopped. All fuses and bulbs are good.
An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert whose answer got voted for 20 times.
An expert who has answered 20 questions.
Re: brake lights dont work untill i turn the lights on,...
Hi, are the tail lights and the brake lights in the same light unit?
If so, there is a possibility the bulbs are in the wrong way. If it is a stop/tail bulb then there are two locating pegs on the side of the metal part. If you look, one is higher than the other which has to locate into the correct slot in the holder.
Another possibility is the bulb is wrong, there are double and single contacts. Check the contact on the base of the bulb is the same as the contacts in the holder.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
1) Locate and remove sensor. The sensor is located under the drivers tail light. Unclip it from the body and then unplug it.
2) Bypass the tail light circuit. Connect the tail light signal wire (Green) to the tail light wire (Green w/ Red Stripe). I recommend using wire tap in squeeze connectors that way you dont have to cut any wires.
3) Bypass the brake light circuit. Connect the brakelight signal wire (Green w/ White Stripe) to the brake light wire (Red w/ Blue stripe) and the the 3rd brake light wire (Red w/ White Stripe). Again all three of these wires are to be connected together.
4) Throw away your broken Tail Lamp Failure Sensor Do not plug your sensor back in. Doing so will cause the annoying orange lamp failure warning light on your dash to stay on. Leave it unplugged ant the light will stay off.
5) Test your work Turn on your lights and make sure your tail lights work properly. Have a friend step on the brake pedal, and make sure your brake lights work properly as well. Dont forget to check the Third brake light.
It may sound silly, but check your brake light bulbs to see if they have been installed incorrectly. Brake light bulbs have two filaments, one for tail light, and a brighter one for brake lights. On some cars if the bulb is installed wrong, the brighter filament will stay on for tail lights. The only other thing I can think of is the wrong bulbs have been installed.
Unless both bulb filaments went out, there is a switch that the brake pedal sits on when released. It should be located under the dash above your foot. You shouldn't miss it. When the brakes are applied, the switch pops out activating the lights, it sounds like that switch may be faulty. Hope that works
check the wire harness that runs from inside the trunk on the drivers side follow it down to the tail light and make shure the wires are not damaged or unplugged remove cover on the drivers side inspect the bulbs the holders and the wires and dont forgt to retighten all grounds that you find on your travels this should get the rear tail lights working also check the brake pedal switch up on the metal part of the brake pedal arm follow it up tp the brake pedal switch and acuate the switch by hand and check the wire voltage coming in and going out when pressing the brake pedal ok give this a shot