Battery drains from intermitten short with transfer case motor
Removed neg. battery lead and checked DC amps between lead and battery. Was able to determine that transfer case motor circuit is intermittenly drawing current. I can hear the transfer motor "click" everytime I get amps to the circuit. I pulled the fuse on the circuit and havn't had any issues since but obviously I am without 4 wheel drive now. My gut feeling tells me to replace the transfer case motor but would like to further troubleshoot. Any suggestions on how to narrow it down from here? I have had trouble with it switching in and out of 4 wheel a couple times but second attempt normally proved to be successful. Thanks for any help!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
it seems like the battery is going. clean battery terminals, also the grounding to the body (engine block, transmission, etc.) all should be shiny cleaned. suggest you go to autozone (or other auto parts) for a free battery & alternator tests.
The alternator is out. The ONLY time your vehicle uses battery power (while the engine is turning) is during start up. After that the alternator runs the car.
With the car running put a volt meter on the alternator. Red lead on the big nut on back side if alt. Black lead on the neg batt cable or a good body ground. Voltage should be around 14.5v DC. Then still with engine running, red lead to batt postive, black lead to batt neg. Voltage should read the same. 14.5v DC If not, the alt. Is bad
a short will blow a fuse what you have is something stating on most common is a bad power antenna but remove the neg cable and place a test light between the battery and the neg cable remove fuses till the light goes dim the removed fuse that allows the light to go dime is the draw on the battery also a bad diode in the alternator will drain it as well so unplug and unbolt that as well
Clean the battery terminals with a wire brush & sandpaper. Make sure the fan is well grounded also. You may have to clean the black wire ground at the grounding spot. Also your fan motor may have a dead short & need to be replaced. Good luck!
Do an aquiesent discharge test, using a multi meter set to 10amps disconnect the neg terminal of the battery and put the meter in line, (poss lead to neg of battery and neg lead to neg lead to battery or earth point). there should be very little drain, just the memory for the radio etc just a few milliamps any more like 1 amp or more and you have something like a boot light stuck on window lifter motor stuck on raise etc,, it could also be a duff plate in the battery, get a deep discharge test done at a quick fit place, this will test the battery's capacity to hold a charge under load.