Question about 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee

1 Answer

Front shock became cocked while trying to change-won't budge

While trying to change the front shocks on a 03 Town Car it became cocked and will not budge. Cannot get the shock to go up or down even when tension is released from the spring. Any suggestions on how to line it up so I can take it to a real mechanic?

Posted by on


1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 20 achievements.


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • Jeep Master
  • 22,306 Answers

Need some help here ,queens english please no slang like pigs tails or hood.Iam in spain and i have never worked on one ,seen them yes popular here these is front suspension macphersaon struts or double wish bone??with the shock in the middle of the spring .A scaffold pole moves most things but i musnt tell you the trade secrets.Also we dont wont to damage anything as iam sure its a simple thing and you have just lost patience.Make a cup of tea have a *** swear at it kick it on the bumper where customer will not see it.Then have another go and it will move.perfectly and first time.

Posted on Feb 01, 2009


1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya Mechanic can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US.
click here to Talk to a Mechanic (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

Rear shocks and wheel bearings.

The wheel bearing is pressed in and held in with a snap ring so you would need a shop press to make that easy to change. As far as the shock goes you can remove the whole thing from the car once on a bench you can try to hold the nut with a wrench and try turning the shaft. if your using factory parts you can get those shocks 2 ways either just the shock or the whole assembly.

Mar 27, 2014 | 2002 Kia Optima

1 Answer

Replaced air bags with coils and shocks,but check air suspendtion light won't go off.

you need clear the codes all times when change any part of the vehicle.

Sep 16, 2012 | 1997 Lincoln Town Car

2 Answers

2001 Lincoln town car is squeaking in the front suspension, and when I go over bumps. Is it shocks? Or is it CV joints? Or does it need to be oiled and lobed?

It could be the the struts as I believe you have struts not shocks on your vehicle. I would start with a good lube job as well as check all your front suspention bushings. If all is good there check to make sure your struts are good. They don't need to be totally repalced as you buy an insert to replace them. Look around underneath as someone pushes the car up and down to try to isolate the location of the noise. I hope this helps and good luck.

Jan 26, 2011 | 2001 Lincoln Town Car

1 Answer

How to change the rear shocks on a 1998 lincoln towns

jack up car support good with stands. unbolt shocks bolts top & bottom . replace with new ones . put bolt in top hole of shock / cut band on shock when released guide in bottom hole put bolt in hol. e tigthen bolts 35bs . repeat on other side.

Nov 12, 2010 | 1998 Lincoln Town Car

2 Answers

Rear end sitting really low to the ground what could be wrong with my car?

leaky air shock. have someone start the car, u listen for hissing from rear shocks

Aug 16, 2010 | 2000 Lincoln Town Car

1 Answer

Im trying to convert my airbags to shocks does my 97 lincoln town car only have airbags in the rear or is it in the front also

Airbags are the safety device that blow up to keep you from dying in a crash.
I've never heard of replacing STRUTS with shocks.
You do relieze that they mouont to the car differently?

Jan 13, 2010 | 1997 Lincoln Town Car

1 Answer

How to take rear shocks off of a 98 lincoln town car ?

You need a long reach 15mm or 17mm spanner, if you turn your air ride of jack the rear of the car look just over the rear wheel you will see the top of the shock, but if it turns then just cut the plastic cover on the shock & use mole grips to hold & turn the shock this should take about 25 mins to do the whole job both sides.
Regards Paul
hope you find this help full

Jan 02, 2009 | 1998 Lincoln Town Car

3 Answers


the compressor running indicates that the suspension does have air leak, now the leak could be from any where in the air suspension such as the shocks, the hoses, and or the front strutsor at the sensors so as long as you hear the compressor running quite often yo definately have a leak and it needs to be checked out using a hoist to lift the vehicle

Dec 02, 2008 | 1999 Lincoln Town Car

Not finding what you are looking for?
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Logo

Related Topics:

59 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Jeep Experts


Level 3 Expert

77499 Answers

Colin Stickland
Colin Stickland

Level 3 Expert

22306 Answers

Kevin Daniels

Level 3 Expert

1455 Answers

Are you a Jeep Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides