Question about 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I have a 2003 Jeep GC limited with 4.7ltr with only 48k miles. No front end collisions and no suspension mods. The fluid level is fine and have not noticed any leaks. The power steering works great every time you turn to the right but prob 40% of time the power assist 'goes out' when turning left. The other 60% it works perfectly with no odd noises or feel. The condition does not seem affected by weather or motor temp. It will do it pulling out of the driveway or pulling back in after a 300 mile drive.
It sounds a lot like an internal valving problem. Sometimes this can be cleared up by changing the fluid. To do this, disconnect the low pressure hose (the one that does not have a pressure fitting on it, just a clamp) on the back of the pump. Catch fluid in a pan and disgard it. Refill with new fluid run the vehicle and turn wheels all the way to one side, center, refill, all the way to other side, center and repeat in order to remove air from system.Remove hose again and repeat entire process again. If fluid appears clean on the second drain, re-fill with good quality fluid and use a power steering conditioner such as that made by Lucas. If after a few days, the problem does not subside, you will need some mechanical diagnosis & repair. However, I have had many systems "come back" from this kind of problem by simply doing what i've outlined.
Posted on Feb 01, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Feb 06, 2015 | 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Jul 26, 2012 | 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Apr 13, 2011 | Jeep Cherokee Cars & Trucks
Mar 18, 2011 | 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee
May 14, 2010 | 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Jan 07, 2010 | 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Dec 18, 2009 | 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Jan 04, 2009 | 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Jul 06, 2008 | 2003 Dodge Caravan
335 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: