Smells like rubber is burning after I turn off my engine.
Over the past couple of months I have noticed that after my engine has turned off I can smell rubber burning. It reminds me of when in my old vehicles after they have overheated the smell of the hoses burning. Although, in this truck I have no problems of this nature.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
I believe that the engine light comes ON and OFF caused by a faulty O2 sensor or the catalyst converter is faulty (blocked or broken) witch also cause the burning smell.
My advise is to get your vehicle checked/ scanned by a technician, this is not a DIY job.
Unusual for a rubber smell could it be plastic? I would suggest possible a wiring loom that has either shorted and melted or has touched a hot component and melted. If you can smell burning with the electrics on but the engine off it is probably a shot and you may be able to trace with sight and smell with just the ignition switch in. This can cause issue with starting as it could be a feed to or from the starter, an imobiliser cable or just the ecu seeing an electrical fault and not allowing you to start. An unto electrician should be able to advise if you can't find it. You don't say if it is turning over but not firing or not turning over at all
hope this helps
If your heater is spraying a light mist through your vents it could be your heater coil. Mine did the same thing, smell rubber burning, then started a light mist through the vents. If you don't get that checked out, it could mess up your water pump and possibly your engine
Are you saying " car smells like burning rubber" I would say something has fallen down onto either your exahust pipe of exhaust manifold, possibly a hose or wire, you need to find out before something shorts out.
Generally that smell is caused by an oil leak that is getting on either the exhaust pipe or manifold (doesn't take much to smell). As far as bottle getting low, I've got a 93 that never stays full but only needs coolant in the radiator about once every two months. Been like that for two or three years and has never overheated. I'm sure there is a small leak somewhere, but I'm not driving myself crazy looking for it. Check all hose connections, and look on the ground after being parked overnight...If it's leaking, something will show up. But if the radiator is staying full, just check it when checking oil level.