I have the 97 Taurus GL, bought used. Had the same problem. I found
that there is a different key for my trunk. The problem with the door
locks though was that they set up from not being used by the previous
owner. So, I got some lubricant akin to WD-40 that said it would help
on rusty parts too. I got a can with a small straw that hooks to the
nozzle and sprayed a good dose into the keyhole then worked it in with
the key, locking and unlocking it several times. Worked like a charm. I
no longer have problems with the door locks at all. Good as new.
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Locate the programming connector located in the LH trunk. Trim may have to be pulled back to access programming connector. ( Connector has black/white wires leading up to it and it is not connected to anything.)
yes you can all you have to do is hit the unluck button on the door and cycle your key 8 times from off to on, until you hear your door locks lock and unlock and then push any button on your remote to program it
To program ( or reprogram ) a keyless entry remote transmitter into the remote keyless entry module, perform the following steps:
1. Turn the key to ON or ACC and short the two terminals of the program connector, a two-pin connector located below the driver's side of the instrument panel at the base of the steering column. All doors should lock and then unlock. 2. Press any button on each keyless entry remote transmitter in turn. All doors should lock and then unlock. If the door locks do not respond, press the button again (up to three times maximum with the same keyless entry remote transmitter). If the door locks still fail to respond, go to Pinpoint Test A. 3. Repeat Step 2 to program additional keyless entry remote transmitters into the remote keyless entry module (up to four keyless entry remote transmitters maximum). 4. Turn key off. 5. Remove the short from the program connector. All doors should lock and then unlock. 6. Verify that the keyless entry remote transmitters have been successfully programmed by pressing the LOCK or UNLOCK button on each one, and observing that the system responds by locking and/or unlocking the doors.
How can a lock not lock or unlock with a physical key?
Maybe the cylinders are frozen? Try squirting a little oil into the locks.
1996 Town Cars have keys and keyless entry.
The physical keys are two, an ignition key and a door key.
You can't use the door key in the ignition, nor the ignition key in the door. They aren't interchangeable.
The default key code for keyless entry is posted on the right trunk hinge, inside the trunk.
Do you have a keyless entry FOB. If you do replace the battery then program the system. Unlock the doors turn the ignition key to the "ON" position then press either the lock or unlock button of the FOB turn the ignition key off.Now turn the ignition key on again and press either button on the FOB. Turn the ignition off again. Do this 3 times. This initiates programming for the power door locks. Press the lock button of each remote one at a time to be stored in memory. this must be done within 10 seconds of each remote.
3 remotes max. Turn the ignition off and remove the key to complete programming procedure. then test each remote.
4. Press and hold the driver side door lock switch in the UNLOCK position until step 8.
5. Insert the ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder and remove the key. (Do not turn the ignition key in the lock cylinder)
6. Insert the ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder and remove the key. (Do not turn the ignition key in the lock cylinder)
7. Insert the ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder. (Do not turn the ignition key in the lock cylinder) Leave key in the ignition cylinder.
8. Release the door lock switch. The vehicle will sound three beeps in order to verify the Program Mode has been activated.
9. Press the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons together on the keyless remote and hold unitl the vehicle beeps twice to verify that the keyless remote has been successfully programmed. This may take approximately 15 seconds.
10. Perform the previous step (9) to program up to four keyless remotesm, including any old ones.
the key on engine off 8 times. the doors will lock and unlock. push one
of the buttons on the key fob and the doors will lock and unlock. do
this for each remote that you have. when you are done turn the key off.
the door locks will lock and unlock. the remote fob should work after
this." From My SecuriLock..