Question about 1997 Chevrolet Lumina
How do I replace the thermostat on a 1997 CHevy Lumina 3100 SFI V6?
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
New users get to try the service completely Free afterwhich it costs $6 per call and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
1. drain coolant from radiator
2. unbolt and remove the water neck from the engine block (it's attached to the upper radiator hose) and scrape any leftover gasket material off of the mating surface w/ a razor or gasket scraper, being careful not to actually gouge the metal
3. pull thermostat out of engine block (it's easy to see w/ the water neck off)
4. scrape any gasket material off mating surface on engine side, being even more careful not to gouge the metal here
5. place new t-stat on engine side opening
6. place gasket over the thermostat (you can put a thin bead of RTV sealant on both sides of the gasket if you wish, some people think it's overkill, but i hate doing things twice)
7. replace water neck
8. refill cooling system, use the little brass bleeder screw on top of the motor to bleed out the air until a steady stream of coolant is coming out after the engine is warmed up. close the screw.
Posted on Sep 29, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
Jul 25, 2017 | Cars & Trucks
May 18, 2016 | Cars & Trucks
Feb 15, 2016 | Cars & Trucks
Dec 30, 2015 | Pontiac Cars & Trucks
Jul 27, 2015 | 1997 Chevrolet Lumina
Aug 21, 2010 | 1997 Chevrolet Lumina
Sep 29, 2009 | 1998 Chevrolet Lumina
Mar 19, 2009 | 1996 Chevrolet Lumina Mini
Jan 20, 2009 | 1999 Chevrolet Lumina
381 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: