Question about 1999 Volkswagen Beetle
P0422 - Catalyst below threshold.
Catalytic converter is clogged or out of medium.
Fault Code Definition
Code P0422 indicates that the Bank 1 Main Catalytic Converter's emissions efficiency has fallen below the minimum allowable limit. This threshold is tracked by a Catalyst Monitoring Oxygen Sensor located on or near the outlet of the Catalytic Converter.
* Check Engine Light will illuminate
* In many cases, no abnormal symptoms may be noticed
Common Problems That Trigger the P0422 Code
* Defective Catalytic Converter
* Engine misfires have damaged the Catalytic Converter
* Internal engine damage resulting in high oil consumption and/or a leaking Head gasket has damaged the Catalytic Converter
* Oxygen Sensors are replaced when the real problem is a damaged Catalyst
* Catalyst is replaced when the real problem is internal engine damage, which is producing elevated emissions levels
* Catalyst is replaced when a misfiring engine is the real problem
Thanks for using FixYa - a 4 THUMBS rating is appreciated for answering your FREE question.
Posted on Sep 28, 2010
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Nov 27, 2016 | Volkswagen Jetta Cars & Trucks
Jul 01, 2014 | 2003 Jeep Liberty
Aug 20, 2010 | 1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Feb 25, 2010 | 2000 Volvo V70
Jul 11, 2009 | 1999 Volkswagen New Jetta
Jun 13, 2009 | 1999 Volkswagen Beetle
Mar 25, 2009 | 1999 Volkswagen Beetle
Jan 27, 2009 | 1999 Volkswagen Beetle
Jul 29, 2008 | Saturn SL2 Cars & Trucks
1,361 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: