Question about Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

Should I use cork or a rubber gasket when I put the transmission pan back on?

I'm going to change the transmission fluid on my 1974 Dodge Dart. It has a 318 motor and a automatic transmission. Should I use cork or rubber gasket when I put the transmission pan back on?

Posted by on

1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 20 achievements.


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • Cars & Trucks Master
  • 5,280 Answers

I think it would be a matter of choice. There's really no pressure on the gasket, no reason for it to fail.

Posted on Jan 17, 2013

2 Suggested Answers

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

  • 14337 Answers

SOURCE: Does my 1974 dodge dart with a 318 motor have a fuel return line on it fuel sending unit?

Hey Jim,I see that it is showing 2 types at auto part stores.You can see the return line on the one with it,the way to find out is when you change you will see.Not good to buy in advance,may have to order.

  1. Usually a pump with a return will have a separate connection to go from the pump back to the cell. If yours has that connection ,I would put the return line back to the cell on it.
    A return line is nothing more than excess fuel being returned to the cell.

Posted on Jan 04, 2013

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

1991 dodge Dakota Oil pan gasket, is it metal or


Cork left in the 1960's -- didn't it ?

Go to the parts store or a dealer
& check it out

Need black silicone in the back corners
where the bearing cap is

May be metal but has a composite or silicone on top

Oct 16, 2014 | Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

How to fix leaky transmission gasket without changing filter

Remove the trans case oil pan on the bottom--
has about 14 to 16 bolts

& replace the gasket with the one called

It is avail from any trans shop for about $4.00

It looks like cardboard & has a waxy coating

Do not use the rubber & cork job --they leak

Dec 08, 2012 | 1989 Oldsmobile Delta 88

1 Answer

How do I stop my transmission from jerking non stop?


usually the auto trans has a filter in the pan. if the filters clogged it cant get enough pressure to shift. i recommend a new filter and gasket. cork gaskets are way easier to install than rubber gaskets. coat the cork gasket with form-a- gasket, you dont have to use an extreme amount, just enough so the gasket sticks to the pan.


Jul 07, 2017 | 1998 Ford Windstar

1 Answer

1994 oldmobile transmission pan replacement

Just get a used trans pan

You can put that one yourself,pretty easy job

I would suggest you go to a trans repair shop
& tell them what car you have.

If they don't have a used one, they will get it the next
morning early, with their daily parts ,from the wholesaler

They also have the good pan gaskets,you do not want the
rubber & cork from the auto parts store
You want the brown cardboard looking gasket, with the waxy

The used pan & gasket goes for about $10.00 total

Jun 04, 2012 | 1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera

2 Answers

Leaking red fluid from passenger side

sounds like maybe transmission fluid leaking, power steering.

Sep 10, 2011 | 1999 Pontiac Sunfire

2 Answers

Changing automatic transmission fluid?

on the bottom of the vehicle you will see a large rectangular pan with about 20 -10, or 12mm bolts.
you have to remove the bolts in such a way as to let all the fluid inside it, be drained from one point as you remove all the bolts. once removed remove the filter inside the pan, and if its a cork gasket going on, dont tighten it up too tight as to pinch the gasket. reverse to install, then fill with type F transmission fluid, about 4 to 6 qts.

Jan 02, 2011 | 2006 Ford Escape

1 Answer

Leaking fluid

Only so many places these trans 41 TE can leak on the vans. Lines on top, speed sensors(input, output)one is below the lines the other is to right of the lines. Dipstick tube, trans solenoid gasket, Oil pan & extension gasket. Wipe off & clean area very well. Lines leaking, check clamps first before replacing. Speed sensor leaking replace o ring, Dipstick tube replace o ring, Trans solenoid replace gasket, Extension plate replace gasket If the pan is leaking you change the trans filter & put a gasket on the pan. The book says RTV on the pan, but FelPro make a gasket for the pan $6.99. Use a Chrysler trans filter!!!! O rings for sensors, tube around $3 each, trans solenoid gasket $3, extension gasket $10, Filter $11 + gasket $7 & 4qts trans fluid if doing the filter or extension gasket.

Jan 18, 2010 | 2000 Dodge Caravan

2 Answers

Where is the drain plug for the automatic transmission fluid on a 2000 pontiac grand prix gt 3800 engine

transmissions do not have drain plugs u must remove the trans pan assembly slowly from one side to the other and have a large container under it to catch all of the fluid then replace the trans pan gasket

Nov 11, 2009 | 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix

1 Answer

Change transmission pan gasket

Drain the fluid through the allen drain bolt, if equipped.
Retorque drain plug to 36 foot pounds

Remove the 10mm bolts around the perimeter of the transmission pan.

It often helps to loosen the transmission mount and pry the transmission up to aid in access to some of the bolts.

Drop the pan and remaining fluid.

Clean the pan with brake parts cleaner or equivalent, do NOT use a lint producing rag, let it air dry.

Install a new cork gasket, NO sealant and reinstall pan with bolts torqued to 43 inch pounds.

Refill transmission fluid with 3-4 quarts fluid. Check level once warmed up and adjust if necessary.

Oct 16, 2009 | 1997 Toyota Camry

1 Answer

I have a 2001 Dodge Caravan SE 2.4L 4 cylinder motor. I had the transmission flushed almost 2 years ago and since then have put 12,000 plus miles on it. All I know is you are suppost to check the...

You need to, at the minimum, change the fluid & trans filter. Easy proceedure. With van jacked up & blocked so it won't fall, use a large collection tray under trans pan & remove pan bolts. let oil drain into tray. use screwdriver to pry pan off. clean pan thoroughly & trans matting surface. Remove filter. You may need to adjust low rev band. Check with dealer or parts store for proper clearances. Put new filter on & tighten bolt[s]. Use new gasket & rebolt pan. Use gasket sealer on pan side only. You'll need 4-8 qts. of the proper tranny oil. Fill through trans. filler hole. Start engine & let warm up, check level & don't overfill or you'll have to suction out until level.

Sep 14, 2009 | 2001 Dodge Caravan

Not finding what you are looking for?
Cars & Trucks Logo

Related Topics:

76 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Cars & Trucks Experts


Level 3 Expert

75822 Answers

Colin Stickland
Colin Stickland

Level 3 Expert

22156 Answers

Randy Ohler

Level 3 Expert

14585 Answers

Are you a Car and Truck Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides