Speedo dropping to zero and digital mileage count display zeros
I have a Ford focus estate 1.6 zetec engine. The problem happens intermittently whilst driving. Can you tell me the exact location of the speedo sensor and give any help on how best to change it. Thank you
Re: speedo dropping to zero and digital mileage count...
It is most likely the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) It is located on top of the gearbox. I changed mine - it was a pain....It depends on how tight it sits. There is a pin securing it. I would let ford do the job....
If you decide to do it yourself prepare it with rust loosener - (WD40 is not good - it is a lubricant and not a rust loosener) several times in the days before the "operation". When you remove the old VSS take som fine sandpaper (grinding paper?) and use it in the hole where you fit the VSS. This makes it easier to pop it in.
It can also be the little wire that runs where the sparkplugs are located (Dont know the word for the location) The wire must be insulated so that sparks cant jump from sparkplugs to the wire.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Does this happen intermittently, im guessing so with the wording "Now And Then" also when your coming to a junction/roundabout and the Speedo has gone to Zero, do you feel a decrease in power around 10% and dipping the clutch and braking causes the Red Warning light to flash top right hand side in the dash and the car wants to stall and or Cuts out?
I have this same Problem and Believe it could be the Speed sensor on the gearbox ( Around £30 on ebay that i have found) 50+ from ford Dealer.
My Quick fix to get the speedo back from zero this is what i have found works to make it come back It does not Totally fix the problem, it just makes it come back if the speedo has dropped again whilst Moving.
This normally stops it happening again until the next time the car is turned off or stood for a while I have noticed it happens More often when the fuel gauge is Below 1/4 and its been raining for some reason? so im thinking it might have a loose connector on the sensor and its getting wet? but have to get under to have a check.
try this to see if it works, it does for me and i have a V Reg Focus LX 1.6
What to do when you notice the Speedo has gone Off .
1) turn the lights on and off then,
2) change DOWN a gear to 3rd, then UP to 4th then to 3rd again
3) and tap the Gear stick on the palm part with the palm of your hand quite hard and wiggle the Gear Stick left and right with dipped clutch in Neutral .
4) turn the main dipped headlights on and off again ( i found also if i have the Heater running it makes this happen so turn it on and off a few times)
5) if it is safe to do so, pull over and turn the car OFF leaving the key in the ignition and then back ON Within 10 Seconds, repeat 1) , 2) 5) again and repeat untill the Speedo Returns (normally within 2-3 mins of this procedure)
if anyone else knows how to fix it please Post any info :)
anyone that can afford to code read for free needs there head looking at my equipment has cost me thousands of pounds and returned me a lot more !!!!!! does the rev counter do funny things as well ? ...