Question about 2002 Mercury Sable
It's the same key, you have to slightly and gently push down as your turning the key. I have a 01 Taurus SES. They are basically the same car. This is also part of the anti theft system. If you haven't used the key much (using the remote mostly) it may be a little stiff. You can try the other front door.
Posted on Jan 13, 2013
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Doing roadside assistance I have ran into this problem several times and if you look in your owners manual it will tell you how to reset it. Some of the cars you have to wait up to 10 min. with the key in the ignition and try again. The light will go out. READ carefully our owners manual.
Hope this helped....Kevin
Posted on Jan 31, 2009
SOURCE: Program 2002 Mercury Sable Key
For convenience, I'm also including a list of other vehicles that these instructions apply:
Ford Contour ‘98–up
Ford Crown Victoria ’97-up
Ford Escort 99-up
Ford Excursion ‘00-up
Ford Expedition ‘98–up
Ford Explorer ’98-up
Ford Focus ‘00-up
Ford Mustang ’96-up
Ford Ranger ’98-up
Ford Taurus ’96-up
Ford Windstar ’98-up
Lincoln Continental ’98-up
Lincoln LS ’00-up
Lincoln Mark VIII ’98-up
Lincoln Navigator ’98-up
Lincoln Town Car ’98-up
Mercury Grand Marquis ’97-up
Mercury Mountaineer ’98-up
Mercury Mystique ’98-up
Mercury Sable ’96-up
NOTE: These instructions may apply to more or less vehicles than those listed above. I cannot confirm that these procedures work for every year and model listed. See your dealer if to confirm this.
On-Board Programming Method "B" for Ford keys (1996 -early 1998 Ford, Lincoln, Mercury)
If you want to initiate a new master key.... 1. Insert new key into ignition cylinder and turn it to the ON (RUN) position. The security light on the dash will flash for fifteen minutes.
2. When the security light stops flashing, you have FIVE minutes to start the next step. Turn the ignition cylinder OFF and then back to the ON (RUN) position. The security light on the dash will flash for fifteen more minutes.
3. When the security light stops flashing, you have FIVE minutes to start the next step. Turn the ignition cylinder to OFF and then back ON (RUN) position. The dash will flash for fifteen more minutes.
4. After the security light stops flashing the third time, the new key has been programmed into the vehicles computer and will operate the car. It has replaced ALL the previous electronic key codes and is the ONLY key programmed into the vehicles computer.
If you want to add a key.... 1. Insert an existing key into the ignition cylinder.
2. Turn the ignition cylinder to ON (RUN) and back to OFF.
3. Remove the existing key and, within 15 seconds, insert the new key and turn it to ON (RUN).
4. The security light will light up for two seconds to indicate success in programming the key into the vehicle.
5. Don't attempt to start the vehicle with any key for at least 1 minute.
On-Board Programming Method "C" for Ford keys (Later 1998-newer Ford, Lincoln, Mercury)
If you want to initiate a new master key.... 1. This requires that the vehicle be connected to special dealer equipment. There are two ten minute delays involved while this device erases all existing key programming and sets up the vehicle computer to accept new key codes. Two new keys should be ready because the system requires a minimum of two keys in the program. After the first two keys are programmed, additional keys can be entered individually by following the instructions for adding duplicate keys (below).
If you want to add a key.... **You must have two original keys to perform this procedure. If you only have one key, you WILL have to take it to the dealer to get it programmed**
1. Insert and existing (working) key into the ignition cylinder.
2. Turn the ignition cylinder ON (RUN) and back to OFF. Ignition should stay on for at least ONE SECOND.
3. Remove the existing key and, within TEN seconds, insert a second working key and turn it to ON (RUN) and the back OFF. Ignition must be in ON for at least ONE second, but no more than TEN seconds. Remove the key.
4. Insert the new key before TWENTY seconds have elapsed and turn it to ON (RUN). Leave it the ON position for at least ONE second and turn back to OFF.
5. The security light will light up for THREE seconds to indicate that the new key has been successfully programmed.
6. To program additional keys, repeat steps 1 through 5
As a precautionary measure for all of the above procedures, you should wait at least one minute after you have performed this until you start your vehicle.
Posted on Mar 27, 2009
There are also two serpentine belt types for the 2002 sable. The S and U type engine. Take the old belt with you the the parts store. As for the diagram, I googled it under images and about a dozen correct ones came up. Remember the 2002 sable is the same as the 2002 Tarus.
Posted on May 02, 2009
it is in the gas tank you have to drop the tank and it goes down in the top although i would locate the filter on the frame rail first and replace it its cheaper and i reccomend you replace it anyway with a pump change
Posted on Aug 15, 2009
Removed two screws from the perimeter of the door, one in the back edge and the other under the bottom. Remove one screw from the handle cup where the window switch is located. Placed some tape around the edge of the handle cup for protection against scratches and pried the cup out with a small putty knife. It is hard, but will pop out. Next I taped the paint around the door panel and used a flat bar to reach behind the panel and had enough of a gap to see the orange tabs and pried each one to remove the panel completely. The panel does not need to be lifted up to removed, just pull it straight off the door. A few tabs may still be holding, but will pop off with a bit of pressure.
Posted on Oct 08, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
Sep 08, 2015 | Mercury Sable Cars & Trucks
May 08, 2015 | Mercury Cars & Trucks
Aug 26, 2012 | 2002 Mercury Sable
Jul 03, 2012 | 1999 Mercury Sable
Jun 01, 2012 | 2004 Mercury Sable
Sep 09, 2011 | Mercury Sable Cars & Trucks
Dec 26, 2010 | 1997 Mercury Sable
Dec 05, 2010 | 1997 Mercury Mountaineer
Jun 20, 2009 | 2002 Mercury Sable
Jul 31, 2008 | 1996 Mercury Sable
Nov 19, 2016 | 2002 Mercury Sable
165 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: