Question about 2007 Jeep Liberty Sport
Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge of the RB4 system with me. Since you offered, I’d like to ask you a few more questions about the unit. There’s not much technical information about it on the web or in the manual, and dealers have no idea. Here are my questions:
1. Is there a way to trigger a reset of the unit? On the Becker TrafficPro units (including the RB3 system in the Chrysler Crossfire), there’s a 3-key combination you can use to trigger a reset of the unit if it gets flaky or can’t find any options (like CD changer) connected to it.
2. Is it possible to reload the current software (AA/2070) again? On the Becker-made MyGIG unit, the unit allows you to reinstall the same version of the system software (e.g., upgrade from currently-installed version 9.807 to version 9.807 from the update CD).
As for the my nav sensors menu always showing my driving direction backwards with the 2070 software, I thought maybe something had gone wrong during the AG/2060 to AA/2070 upgrade, even though the unit indicated the upgrade was successful at the end. I had the ignition in the ACC position instead of ON during the upgrade, and thought perhaps the unit did not receive all the necessary bus information from the PCM/BCM. I would have just re-loaded the 2070 software again, but the unit won’t prompt you to reload the same version that’s currently installed. I sold my AG/2060 software shortly after purchasing the AA/2070 version, so I can’t downgrade to see if the driving direction indication reverts back to always displaying forward, as it did before. Is it supposed to change between Forward and Backward? Mine never did; it always displayed Forward with the original 2060 software and now always displays Backwards with the 2070 software.
3. Even with the latest 2070 software, it seems there are some bugs. The first time the steering wheel controls are used after the vehicle is started , about 50% of the time a button (any button) will need to be pressed twice before the radio responds. Anytime after that, it’s fine. The controls on the RB4 itself always work fine. I’ve read the MyGIG units had a similar steering wheel button problem that was solved with the latest software update.
4. The unit occasionally resets itself (usually on power-up), and you can see it reload the system software from the nav CD in the drive. (If the disc is not in the drive, it prompts you to insert it.) I have Sirius, and I wonder if the factory Delphi receiver occasionally resets when Sirius sends our channel updates – this would trigger a reset of the radio, since it then goes out and re-detects the Sirius receiver. I also have factory UConnect, which always works fine with the RB4
5. Is it advisable to periodically recalibrate the unit for maximum accuracy, or to compensate for tire wear? Do you have any special advice when doing a re-cal? I haven’t done it in over a year, and I seem to be picking up fewer satellites than before (3 or 4 usually, sometimes only 1 or 2, though the unit still navigates with the internal gyro and the vehicle speed information). In the past, I was picking up 6-7 satellites regularly – I still do, but not very often. MyGIG owners that have had this issue said a re-cal solved the problem.
6. When the unit is cold, the LCD display is dim (the backlight has a pinkish hue), but it comes to full brightness as the cabin warms up – I assume this is normal? Even when it’s not too cold outside (say, 50 or 60 deg F), if the unit is off when the vehicle is started and then turned on, the display is sometimes very dim for a few seconds until it comes up to full brightness.
7. Can you tell me what changes were made in each version of the software? Also, can you tell me the difference between the AD, AE, and AF versions of the RB4 unit itself? From eBay pics, it looks like extra cooling vents were added on the right side on the AF revision, and the felt lining on the CD slot is often torn on the AD version - were there also internal hardware changes/improvements?
8. Do you forsee Hunt Automotive Electronics continuing to support it with parts/repairs in the future? (I hope so, in case mine ever goes out!)
The unti works well, and it's a nice upgrade to the RBQ radio originally installed in my Liberty. It’s too bad that Chrysler-Becker-Navteq are no longer supporting the unit; a map update (the latest is from 2004) would be nice!
Thanks again for all your help and insightfulness!
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of.(from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones)
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
I have run across the problem with the display showing that you are going backwards on units I work on my bench.As long as you are getting the distance pulses and the nav functions are operating properly the should be no problems.You reinstall the 2060 ver and see if it reverts back to the way it was.Then reinstall the 2070 ver again.The main changes that were madewere to the update speed for the GPS functions.I do have a service manual,but cannot release it to anyone.From what i understand I am the only one that is Factory authorized to repair the RB4 units in the USA.
Feel free to msg me about any other questions you have about the unit
Yes theCAN BUS could cause a problem.
The 07 chrysler's use the highspeed CAN C in some of the app's in the vehicle.But from what I understand they are only using 125hz can BUS speed(which some consider low speed CAN) But as you mentioned the radio is talking on the BUS so it must also have J1850 communication.The RB4 does not have CAN built into the unit.
Posted on Jan 09, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
Jul 12, 2011 | Ford Escape Cars & Trucks
Apr 01, 2011 | Nissan Altima Cars & Trucks
Feb 15, 2011 | Jaguar XKR Cars & Trucks
Dec 25, 2009 | 2006 Audi A6
Mar 09, 2009 | 2004 Infiniti FX35
Jul 17, 2008 | 2005 Acura TL
Jul 07, 2008 | 2007 Jeep Liberty Sport
365 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!