Your interior lights are controlled by the GEM - generic electronic module !
The battery saver relay is controlled by the generic electronic module (GEM) and is located in the fuse junction panel.
The battery saver relay is designed to supply B+ voltage to the following:
- dome and map lamp switches
- visor lamps
- glove box lamp switch
- interior lamp switch
- interior courtesy lamp relay
- delayed accessory relay
The function of the battery saver relay is to prevent excessive battery drain by interior lighting circuits.
The GEM supplies a ground signal to the battery saver relay anytime one of the wake-up inputs of the GEM is activated to operate the battery saver relay.
A wake-up command is sent when:
- any door becomes ajar or is opened or closed.
- the ignition key is inserted or removed.
- the ignition switch is turned from OFF to RUN.
- the ignition switch is turned from OFF to ACC.
- a wake-up request is received from the remote anti-theft personality (RAP) module (if equipped).
- The GEM will maintain the ground input with ignition in RUN or for 40 minutes from the last input activation with ignition in the OFF position. After 40 minutes the ground signal is discontinued.
This de-engergizes the battery saver relay preventing B+ voltage supply to the controlled switches and circuits.
- Courtesy Lamp On Continuously
- Short to power.
- Damaged switch.
- Generic electronic module.
PINPOINT TEST AF: COURTESY LAMPS ON CONTINUOUSLY
AF1 PRELIMINARY CHECKS
- Check connections for clean tight fit.
- Check for loose or damaged wires.
Do components and wiring check OK?
GO to AF2 .
SERVICE or REPLACE as required. GO to AF2 .
AF2 CHECK CIRCUIT 53 (BK/LB)
- Remove interior lamp relay.
- Measure voltage at interior lamp relay connector Pin 87, Circuit 53 (BK/LB).
Is voltage greater than 0 volts?
SERVICE Circuit 53 (BK/LB) for short to B+. RESTORE vehicle. RETEST system.
GO to AF3 .
AF3 CHECK CIRCUIT 434 (LB/BK)
- Measure resistance between interior lamp relay connector Pin 85, Circuit 434 (LB/BK) and ground.
Is resistance 5 ohms or less?
SERVICE Circuit 434 (LB/BK) for short to ground. RESTORE vehicle. RETEST system.
REPLACE interior lamp relay. RESTORE vehicle. RETEST system.
Interior lamp relay is located in the Instrument panel fuse box .
I/P Fuse Panel (Located Below Driver's Side of I/P )