Question about 1998 Dodge Dakota
I own a 1998 3.9 L V6, Automatic Transmission Dodge Dakota, 2WD, 12 gallon fuel tank with 72,000 miles on it.
I drove two hours one day from my parents house to my own, parked it and when I went to start it the next day, it would only turn over and over.
The battery charge was fine, starter motor seemed to sound normal, engine would crank at normal speed (to the best of my knowledge). I couldn't figure out what had changed / failed.
So I looked at the three major components: Air, fuel, and spark. I could not get a spark (but I could smell fuel from the cylinder with the removed spark plug) so I tested the ignition coil for resistance and it checked out okay. I also attached a spark plug to the wire leading from the ignition coil and got sparks. From that information, I replaced the distributor cap, and rotor (the old ones looked okay as I did wires, cap, and rotor maintenance a year ago, but I figured it was worth a try). After doing so, the vehicle would start, but it hesitates and sometimes takes 5 to 15 seconds before it begins to run. Normally when the truck starts to fire, it stumbles until it reaches idling speed at which everything seems normal. I would say this happens 80% of the time. The other 20% the truck starts like it should.
Once running, I have no issues in performance, fuel mileage, or anything else that would make me think something was wrong. It's only when I start it and it's more relevant when the motor is warm and is started briefly after a quick stop (such as fueling up at a gas station, or running into a store for a gallon of milk).
Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Hey Dakota people out there. My 98 Dakota would die while I was driving
Posted on Feb 09, 2011
98 dodge dakota 3.9v6 runs rough all the time but everytime it rains it is hard to start and doesn't run good at all have put on new wires, rotr button, dis. cap and idle air control valve. what else can I do
Posted on Mar 29, 2010
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Not to be rude, but, if you already know what's broke, fix it!!! Usually, if it's just the plastic line, just slip a piece of rubber hose over it. I use fish tank air hose for this, sometimes securing both ends with thin tie-wire.
Posted on Dec 22, 2008
SOURCE: engine chugging the cutting out
Hard to say, it could be a dirty injector to and bad fuel pressure relay or the vacuume line to the fuel pressure relay. After that you could change the fuel filter, it may be dirty and causeing your pump pressure to drop when on demand. good luck and hope this helps
Posted on Apr 08, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
Sep 26, 2014 | 1998 Dodge Dakota
Nov 10, 2013 | 1994 Dodge Dakota Club Cab
Jul 07, 2012 | 1988 Dodge Dakota
Mar 17, 2011 | 1994 Dodge Dakota Club Cab
May 18, 2010 | Cars & Trucks
Dec 03, 2009 | 1995 Dodge Dakota
Oct 02, 2009 | 1989 Dodge Dakota 2WD
Sep 28, 2008 | 1994 Dodge Dakota Club Cab
1,858 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: