Question about 2000 Chrysler Sebring

1 Answer

Converiable top is slow or will not go up?

How do I get behind the seat to service the hydrualic pump system?

Posted by on


1 Answer

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Vice President:

    An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.


    An expert whose answer got voted for 20 times.

  • Expert
  • 137 Answers

Pull up to remove the lower seat cushion. remove the bolts for the rear seat cushion the bolts are at bottom of rear seat frame.. lift it up to remove it..

Posted on Jan 19, 2009


1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Good luck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

2003 Mustang. Where is the cylinder that moves the top up and down located?

There are two, one on each side. You have to remove the rear seat and the trim panels on each side of the rear seat. The hydraulic cylinders are behind those.

Jul 24, 2015 | Ford Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

Where is the location of the fuel pump driver module on a 2001 mercury cougar

This module is located behind the interior side trim panel, LH side behind the front seat, below the rear LH side glass. AKA B Pillar trim panel. Access from inside, probably will require removal of the rear seat bottom and even top of seat to remove the panel. it will be the small box in the center of that area once the panel is removed. Good luck!

Sep 20, 2014 | 2001 Mercury Cougar

1 Answer

Rag top / convertible top motor/pump won't work. Needs fluid or motor?

most soft tops are operated with an electric wiper motor could be just a rust problem, check behind the seat or in the boot of the car, these are normally behind a panel, a little Q20 should sort it out

May 09, 2017 | 2000 Ford Mustang

1 Answer

I put a used sebring 1999 convertable top on my convertable everything is good with the exception that it wont go do i can hear that it wants to work but its not what could the problem be

Yes, without hydraulic fluid, it is not likely to work.

Firstly, a caveat, if you don't know what you are doing, it will be better to get an auto mechanic to do this.

I am also making an assumption, that you haven't a) messed up the electrical switch that operates it, and b) damaged the hydraulic pistons, or the hydraulic hoses in the process. If so, all bets are off, and back to get a mechanic to fix it.

IN that model, the Hydraulic pump, should be located behind the rear seat. The bottom cushion of the rear seat would pop out, there will be clamps at either side of the outer edge of the seat. The rear seat back, can be removed by removing the seat belt plate at the bottom of the seat back, and liftig the seat back straight upwards. There will be a sound barrier flap, and the pump will be behind that. ON the top of the pump, will be a rubber fill plug. remove it, and fill to the bottom of the fill hole.

  1. Rotate and raise the motor/pump assembly so the reservoir is in the up position. The rubber filler plug will be at the top.
  2. Raise the motor and pump fitting to at least 2" above the horizontal rear seat back reinforcement.
  3. Tilt the motor and pump assembly to approximately the 10 o'clock position, with the rubber filler plug still at the top.

CAUTION: The motor and pump assembly must remain in the current position until the rubber filler plug is reinstalled in step 7.

  1. Remove the rubber fill plug from the reservoir.
  2. Fill the hydraulic system by adding Dexron 2 Automatic Transmission Fluid to the bottom of the fill hole.

CAUTION: Do not operate the top switch in the "up", closing the top, direction.

  1. With two people, activate the top switch in the "down" (opening the top) position to fully retract the cylinder rods and hold for approximately 5 seconds, until the motor and pump stalls. A percolating or gurgle sound/feeling is an indication that the procedure is working.
  2. Top off the pump with Dexron III Automatic Transmission fluid and insert the filler plug.
You may need to "bleed" the hydraulics. As I said, this is probably better done as a mechanic job (it may also need two people).

Apr 24, 2012 | 1999 Chrysler Sebring

1 Answer

Have 2 Hummers ( both 1995) that have a Hydrualic 'boost' loss to steering when brakes applied. Steering power increases if I flip the throttle which allows me to turn the wheel when throttle is hit....

at the back of the pump where the high pressure line attaches. I'm not saying thats your problem, but thats where the valve is. I think if you disconnect it, it should have full boost.

Aug 31, 2010 | Hummer H1 Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

How to service chrysler sebring convertible top hydraulic pump

if anyone has a 2008 chrysler sebring and need to add hydrolic fluid to a convertable pump the pump IS NOT BEHIND THE SEAT BUT IN THE SPACE WHERE THE SPARE TIRE IS LOCATATED it is mounted to the wall between the tire and the back side of the place where the tire is mounted take up the floor cover and you will see it

Jun 10, 2010 | 2004 Chrysler Sebring

2 Answers

How to replace water pump i can't get to the engine

You have to take the engine access cover off. It's under the area where the convertible top stows when it's down.

Nov 14, 2009 | 2001 Porsche Boxster

1 Answer

1998 Mercedes Convertible Top Slow and Drips Oil

Your top is moved by an electric motor wich operates a hydraulic pump which moves two pistons which move the top.
The "oil" thet you see is probably hydraulic fluid leaking from the drain hole in the car near the tire.
You have a leak in the hydraulic system.
You need to start at the motor/pump/reservoir unit behind the seat and find the leak.
Most commonly, it is a bad line. Second in popularity is a bad cylinder(s). Third on the list is the motor/pump/reservoir.
If you replace a line, do them all. If you replace a cylinder, replace them both.

Karl at

Aug 13, 2009 | 1998 Mercedes-Benz SLK

1 Answer

Sebring convertible top won't work

You are probably low on hydraulic (ATF) fluid.
Check the lines and cylinders for leaks. Replace any leaking lines or cylinders. Always replace them in pairs.
When the leak is fixed...
Behind the rear seat is the motor/pump/reservoir.
With the top down, fill the reservoir with ATF.
Cycle the system a few times.
Repeat till the reservoir will accept no more fluid.
You can change it to a manual top by removing the bolt at the top of the cylinders and lowering the both shafts down into the cylinders.

Karl at

Jun 21, 2009 | 1999 Chrysler Sebring

1 Answer

Top starts to go down then stops.

There is no gearbox. A motor runs a pump which moves the cylinders. You are probably low on fluid.
Behind the rear seat is your motor/pump/reservoir combination.
With the top down, fill the reservoir to overflowing with ATF.
Cycle the system a few times and repeat.
Do this till the reservoir will take no more fluid.
Check the lines and cylinders for leaks. The fluid must be going somewhere.
If you replace any lines or cylinders, always do them in pairs.
Karl at

Sep 14, 2008 | 1998 Chrysler Sebring

Not finding what you are looking for?
2000 Chrysler Sebring Logo

Related Topics:

85 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Chrysler Experts


Level 3 Expert

79123 Answers

Colin Stickland
Colin Stickland

Level 3 Expert

22326 Answers


Level 3 Expert

814 Answers

Are you a Chrysler Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides