Question about 2006 Pontiac G6

Open Question

Water is spraying out between the bypass hose and the thermostat housing

I was told that I have to get the whole part replaced (a long metal piece that connects to the bypass hose) but I don't know what the part is called to get it priced or even if that is what I really got to get done.

Posted by Anonymous on


6 Suggested Answers

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of.(from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones)
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

  • 14036 Answers

SOURCE: Overheating

did you bleed air out coolant. if you did check engine oil when engine cool .could have a blown head gasket. if it look like milk shake . head gasket leak . reason blow no heat check see heater blower motor working.if yes . heat control unit or heat door not open in dash vacuum line to heat door actutator could be leaking.

Posted on Mar 24, 2009

  • 1118 Answers

SOURCE: car overheating

Follow top radiator hose to engine and thats where the thermostat is located under the housing at the end of the top hose at the engine.

Posted on Apr 18, 2009

  • 3640 Answers

SOURCE: there is a small part under the thermostat on my

yes it is supposed to go through bypass. if it is plugged flush out the coolant system, and refill with coolant. go to any auto parts place and buy radiator flush.

Posted on Nov 12, 2009

  • 186 Answers

SOURCE: I need to know the

It may be the rad hose support bracket

Posted on Jan 10, 2011

  • 81 Answers

SOURCE: I replaced the thermostat and water pump when my car is althe way cool my hose that is connected to the thermostate **** in What should I do?

Does the car run cool (normal operating range)? As the car coolant cools there is a small vacume created, should not colapse the upper hose unless it is very soft. Most thermostats have a small hole in them to keep an air lock from ocuring. Maybe you stats hole is pluged.

Posted on Sep 18, 2012

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

Thermostat gasket blown

Is it all one piece, the outlet pipe and the t-stat housing? The gasket goes on the bottom of the housing where it mates to the engine. If the coolant is leaking from the bottom of the housing, that would require a new gasket. If coolant is leaking where the radiator hose connects to the pipe, have you tried tightening the hose clamp?
If the outlet pipe and housing are separate, there may be an O-ring seal between them. You may want to pull off the radiator hose and check if the pipe is so badly corroded and rusted that it cannot seal anymore, or may have a hole in it, especially if it is thin metal.

Jan 09, 2013 | Mitsubishi Mirage Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

Anti freeze leak I hear hissing sound under neath fuel injection system

could be leaking at the top radiator hose going to thermostat, that is a hard spot to see leak remove the air filter and air filter housing look below throttle body you see thermostat housing, check for leaks around thermostat housing gasket and check for leak at the top radiator hose going to radiator and thermostat.if all is good check all radiator hoses for leaks check small coolant lines going to throttle body for leaks and check make sure bleeder screw on thermostat housing not loose it will leak also check around radiator and water pump heater bypass metal lines for leaks.

Sep 10, 2012 | 1999 Chevrolet Lumina

1 Answer

Behind the water pump it leaks antifreze its not the water pump but the hose from the radiator hook up to this metal tube and goes to the water pump that join is leaking does it have a gasket in between or...

you talking about water pump bypass heater pipe the metal elbow piece to the water pump hosing.the metal elbow piece is held in place by small bolt or bolts you should have either gasket or o ring betwween where metal elbow mounts to water pump housing.replace the hoses also.some times the hose will be leaking not gasket or o ring at the metal elbow.make sure screw or screws not loose or missing to the metal elbow pipe.

Apr 17, 2011 | 1997 Geo Metro

1 Answer

Changed water pump,thermostat, top rad. hose. still leaking leaking antifreeze from what looks like below thermostat housing. have noticed super small hose from water pump to engine. looks hard to replace....

That is called the bypass hose. It could be leaking but I'd take a closer look at the thermostat housing. If you replaced only the thermostat and not the housing, the housing may be leaking. It's a common source of coolant leaks.

Apr 16, 2011 | 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 Truck

1 Answer

How do you replace a thermostat

NEVER remove the pressure relief cap under any conditions while the engine is operating. Failure to follow these instruction could result in DAMAGE to the
cooling system or engine AND/OR personal injury. To avoid having scalding hot coolant or steam blow out of the cooling system or reservoir, use extreme care when removing the pressure relief cap from a hot cooling system or reservoir.
  1. Wait until the engine has cooled.
  2. Wrap a thick cloth around the pressure relief cap and turn it slowly (until the pressure begins to release.
  3. Step back while the pressure is released from the cooling system.
  4. When you are certain all the pressure has been released, (still with a cloth) turn and remove pressure relief cap .

  1. Drain the engine cooling system so that the engine coolant level is below the water thermostat (8575).
  2. Raise vehicle on hoist. See General Information.
  3. Disconnect the lower radiator hose (8286) and degas bottle hose from the water inlet connection.
  4. Remove the two water inlet connection retaining bolts. Remove the water inlet connection.
  5. Remove the O-ring seal and water thermostat from the water thermostat housing. Inspect O-ring for damage and replace if necessary.
  6. If required, remove water bypass hose from water thermostat housing and remove water thermostat housing retaining bolts, water thermostat housing and O-ring from oil filter adapter (6881). Inspect O-ring for damage and replace if necessary.
  1. Install the water thermostat, O-rings, water thermostat housing (if removed) and water inlet connection as illustrated.
  2. Install and alternately tighten the retaining bolts. Tighten bolts to 20-30 Nm (15-22 ft. lbs.).
  3. If removed, connect the water bypass hose to the water thermostat housing.
  4. Connect the lower radiator hose and degas bottle hose to the water inlet connection.
  5. Lower vehicle.
  6. Fill the coolant with Ford Premium Cooling System Fluid E2FZ-19549-AA or-B (in Oregon, F5FZ-19549-CC, in Canada, Motorcraft CXC-8-B) or equivalent that meets Ford specification ESE-M97B44-A in a 50/50 mixture with water.
  7. Start the engine and check all hoses and connections for leaks. Allow the engine to warm up so that the water thermostat opens.
  8. Stop the engine. Top off degas bottle as required to maintain minimum cold fill level.

Jan 10, 2011 | 1997 Lincoln Continental

1 Answer

Is a thermostat housing and a water outlet the same part? Every time I search for a thermostat housing all I find are water outlets.

Yes and no, at most auto parts stores they usually use the term "water outlet" to refer to the upper portion, the lid if you will, of the thermostat housing. This is the part that the upper radiator hose connects to. It looks like this:
Most times shops and parts stores use these terms interchangeably though. The thermostat in your car sits in whats called a water box, which the coolant temperature sensor connects into and is capped in by the housing/water outlet. I would just ask, if you are being told by a shop, if you just need the piece that connects to the radiator hose and bolts over the thermostat or if you need the the outlet and the water box.

Nov 10, 2010 | 1988 Plymouth Reliant

2 Answers

Car is oerheating boiling out of the spillout valve

Follow your top radiator hose to the engine. Just before the engine you'll see a metal housing with a series of bolts in it that the hose is clamped to. Drain your coolant below this level (you can remove your lower radiator hose or remove the splash shield and use the draincock) and undo the hose, then remove the bolts in the housing. Remove the front part of the housing and clean the gasket material from the mating surfaces. To replace, buy a thermostat from Autozone with a jiggle valve (a little piece of metal in the top that jiggles)- this will aide in orientation upon reinstallation. Make sure you either buy RTV sealant to make a gasket, or a gasket (the gasket will probably be cheaper). Use the piece of the housing that is removable from the engine to twist the thermostat until it fits within the cut-out (the thermostat and cut out are not perfectly round). You can use spray adhesive on the gasket to aid in placement on the piece of thermostat housing that is connected to the engine. Replace thermostat with the spring side facing engine and capped side facing the radiator. Tight bolts, fill coolant and bleed.

Aug 03, 2009 | 1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT

1 Answer

Thermostat location

Follow the upper radiator hose back to the engine until you see a hose clamp holding it to the engine block. This is the thermostat housing and should have bolts to pull it apart. The new thermostat installs with the spring toward the engine. When purchasing a thermostat, if you get one with a jiggle valve (a little piece of metal on the top that jiggles) it'll help you orient the new thermostat as the jiggle valve goes on top (the thermostat and housing aren't perfectly round so you have to rotate it until the thermostat fits into the housing correctly). You can use some spray adhesive to keep the gasket in place while installing the thermostat. This helps, but it not necessary.

Jul 11, 2009 | 1997 Volkswagen Golf

1 Answer

Trying to locate a heater bypass line.

your local dealer will get you one.or take the pipe to some place where they make hydraulic pipes.They will help you,I now its not an hydraulic pipe but they can still make one for you.

May 30, 2009 | 2000 Chevrolet Lumina

Not finding what you are looking for?
2006 Pontiac G6 Logo

Related Topics:

50 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Pontiac Experts


Level 3 Expert

76649 Answers

Colin Stickland
Colin Stickland

Level 3 Expert

22219 Answers

Jeff Turcotte
Jeff Turcotte

Level 3 Expert

8522 Answers

Are you a Pontiac Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides