Question about 1990 Mitsubishi Montero
My transmission will not shift into 4th gear. I have been having this problem 4 some time now. The transmission fluid level is fine and there are no apparent problems with the other gears. I am trying 2 locate the overdrive relay so I can test it to determine if it is working properly, but having no luck. Any help with diagnosing this problem would be much appreciated.
Check the OD solenoid on top of the tranny (drverside) apply 12V + to it and take for a test run if she works then you know the problem may be the OD relay, temp switch or its wiring. I had just simply rewired a new OD switch.
Please let me know if this help.
Posted on Jun 30, 2010
I have a 1990 montero it has 478,000 miles and still runing strong!
Posted on Feb 20, 2012
a 6ya Mechanic can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US.
click here to Talk to a Mechanic (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
1-2 Shift Solenoid Valve
3-4 Shift Valve Bore Plug
Burned, slipping, missing
4th Servo Cover
4th Servo Pin
4th Servo Piston
4th Servo Seals
Rolled, cut or damaged
Slipping or No Fourth Gear
Slipping or No Fourth Gear Checks
DEFINITION: A large engine RPM increase is noted in fourth gear, Drive range, with little or no vehicle forward speed increase. First, second, and third gear operation are normal. Shifts into fourth gear are soft or do not occur. Fourth gear ratio is 0.705:1.
Automatic Transmission Fluid Level
Low fluid level
Transmission Main Line Pressure
Low transmission main line pressure
Oil Filter Assembly
• The oil filter assembly (100) is missing, plugged, or damaged.
• The oil filter seal assembly (101) is missing or is damaged.
Control Valve Body Assembly
• The 3-4 shift valve (362) or the 4-3 manual downshift valve (360) is stuck or binding.
• Debris is found in the passages of the control valve body (301) or of the control valve body spacer plate and gasket assembly (396)
Case Cover Assembly
Distortion or damage occurs at the manual valve (404) or at the case cover (401), causing PRN oil leak.
Driven Sprocket Support Assembly
A plugged third clutch oil passage in the driven sprocket support assembly (609)
Fourth Clutch Assembly
• The clutch plates (500-502) are worn, damaged, or misassembled.
• A missing or not seated fourth clutch spring retaining ring (601)
• A damaged spring assembly (602) or piston (603)
• Worn or damaged fourth clutch piston seals (604, 605)
Third Clutch Sprag Assembly
• The sprag (720) was misassembled or backwards on the inner race (661).
• A damaged third clutch sprag assembly (653, 661, 719-721)
Dec 06, 2015 | Pontiac Cars & Trucks
Mar 08, 2015 | 1999 Volvo S70
Oct 31, 2013 | 2012 Hyundai Sonata GLS Sedan 2.4L 4-cyl....
Aug 09, 2011 | 1995 Nissan Altima
May 14, 2011 | 2000 Land Rover Discovery
Nov 18, 2009 | 1996 GMC Jimmy
Aug 21, 2009 | 1985 Mercedes-Benz 300
Mar 17, 2009 | 2000 Toyota ECHO
Dec 12, 2008 | 1998 Honda Civic
May 23, 2014 | 1990 Mitsubishi Montero
1,128 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: