Question about Ford Bronco II

1 Answer

Fuel canister valve

My 87 ford bronco is leaking gas out of the this round black thing on driver side witch is i think called a fuel valve canister

Posted by on


1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 20 achievements.


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • Ford Master
  • 5,368 Answers

Fuel vapor canister or charcoal canister. Your purge solenoid may be inoperable. When engine is running the solenoid energizes to purge the canister of vapors into a line going to the intake manifold.
Remove the canister and dump the fuel out-the charcoal element inside the canister can be replaced, if completely saturated with gas, as I suspect yours is. Getting it to work again may be a lot of fun on an '87-been too long for me-better find the repair procedure re: the canister, and how to check the purge solenoid.
Go to, register for free listing your make, model, year, and engine size. Look under repair guides for operation and testing of the charcoal canister. If not enough info there at autozone (some help is there, but not as much as in a repair manual), then buy the repair manual for your bronco or check at local library-they often have many repair manuals for check-out or reference.

Posted on Dec 09, 2012


6 Suggested Answers

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of.(from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones)
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

  • 3 Answers

SOURCE: I have a 1989 Bronco

This was used as a Gas Line filter at one time.I was told that the filters are no longer being manufactured and most commmonly the canister is being used as a sedement bowl.I was unable to find an o ring at the time,and sealed the unit with a high grade silicone gasket sealer

Posted on Aug 01, 2008

  • 491 Answers

SOURCE: ignition switch

lol ok. turn the key until all the lights on the dash come on. then there is a really small hole just under the switch that you will have to put a really small screwdriver in and hit it to push the lock button. while you do that pull the switch out. and just push the new one in and thats it

Posted on Nov 08, 2008

  • 48 Answers

SOURCE: 87 bronco 2 fuel injecter harness

Nope... they only inject fuel during the compression stroke of the engine. Thats how they were designed.

Posted on Jan 22, 2009

  • 14 Answers

SOURCE: 87 ford bronco fuel gauge problems

The problem is most likly the sending unit in the fuel tank but check the float. drain tank, there are two bolt in the straps on the fuel tank lossen enuf to lower tank to get to top to unplug wires and fuel lines once tank is on the ground thee is a ring on the top of tank holding the pump and sending unit in tap ring around with a screw driver to lossen once you have that off just pull unit out of tank and follow directions that come with sending unit. reverse removal procedure. good luck.

Posted on Apr 07, 2009

  • 3 Answers

SOURCE: leaking coolant from part located passenger side

I think is a heater core bad...

Posted on Oct 19, 2009

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

Purge valve solenoid canister located on a 2003 Ford Taurus code po457

  • Park the Taurus on a level surface, set the parking brake and turn off the engine. Chock the wheels.
  • Open the hood and disconnect the negative battery cable.
  • Stand on the passenger's side and shine the flashlight along the firewall.
  • Look for a plastic cylindrical object about 2 inches high, mounted on the firewall near the right fender. This is the purge valve. You should see a thick black hose entering it from the driver's side of the unit.
  • The Ford Taurus canister purge control valve is a part of the evaporative emission control system, which keeps fuel vapors from escaping into the atmosphere. Pressure inside the gas tank fluctuate due to fuel level, environmental conditions and driving style. The extra vapor is vented into a storage canister under the rear of the car, outside the fuel tank, and is fed into the purge control valve through a rubber hose. The power-train control module monitors fuel tank pressure through a tank pressure sensor. It opens the canister purge valve as necessary to keep this pressure within design limits.

Feb 18, 2017 | Ford Taurus Cars & Trucks

2 Answers

How to change the purge valve

Purge valve is located next to the gas tank on or near the charcoal canister simple plug and play replacement should just need a regular screw driver , undo 1 or 2 hoses and a plug and replace

Mar 03, 2016 | 2010 Chevrolet Chevrolet Traverse LT

2 Answers

"I have 1998 Volvo V70 AWD and my check engine light is on. I changed gas cap that one I got from the Volvo. Also I done smoke test few days ago, the mechanic couldn't find any leak. Now it show the code...

1--Evap system hoses
2--Purge Valve
3--Check Valve
4--Air pump
5--Canister valve(some people call canister purge valve)

A crack in an evap hose is the most common thing. I would definitely check the two evap canister hoses. These are easy to fine, one being the J hose, which is in a J shape, and connected to your canister and the other end to a valve. Then the Canister Evap hose, which is 18" or so long with a 4" L on the end of it. It connects to a hard plastic or metal hose that can easily be reached by removing the rear passenger side tire on a 98 S70 turbo. Check these 2 first. I found that the cracks in both of these hoses were where the clicks were or close to them(many old style clips causing this). Check these too, again they will both be connected to the canister valve that is right beside the charcoal canister on the passenger rear side.

Jun 13, 2014 | 1998 Volvo V70

1 Answer

Bronco II 1987 v6 2.9-well manufacture date is 10\87 but that means parts are 88' right?

Look at your registration, note "model year" If you ar still unsure, call a Ford dealer and ask them to look up your vin #. They will know for sure.

Sep 07, 2012 | 1987 Ford Bronco II

1 Answer

I have 2003 tahoe need owner manuel engine light on change gas cap

u have a small leak in what is called your EVAP system . It basicly seals the fuel system the leak could be anywhere in the system its an emissions thing and varys from vehicle to vehicle and could vary well be the gas cap . The codes run from P0440 to P0459 anything from a loose cap to holes in the gas tank or rotted recovery fuel lines or bad canister vent valves or purge valves none of witch is a critical problem the vehicle will run ok but you may have a problem getting through emissions. Change the cap and see if you get a differant code that is more discriptive its likely a simple part and not hard to replace

May 07, 2011 | Chevrolet Tahoe Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

Fuel leaking from a round black part in the fuel system. this part has two fuel lines entering and exiting. what is this part called? the bottom of this part screws on or off.

it is a fuel canister (some had a filter in them and some did not it is wise to change the filter it helps clean fuel before the fuel pump) it is located under drivers side door.. when you unscrew it you can use a oil filter wrench be careful it is plastic..there is normally a o-ring that goes around the bottom piece the o-ring will dry out and it will leak..go to parts store get a new filter, clean the parts really good, you will get a o-ring with the filter but the ones i have changed i have found the o-ring is a joke and as long as it is clean and no cracks, you really dont need the o-ring..

Jan 09, 2011 | 1988 Ford Bronco II

2 Answers

What is the black cup looking thing that my fuel lines run to on the driver side of my 88 bronco 2 about midway from the back tire to the front of the truck because it is leaking fuel badly

Hi playerboy890,

The piece that you have described is the fuel pressure regulator,After you replace the fuel pressure regulator you will need to change the oil and filter due to contamination of excessive fuel into the oil pan.

Jan 04, 2011 | 1988 Ford Bronco II

1 Answer

2000 ford taurus gas tank has what appears to be a fitting on the top right rear that has hoses attached. there are stains and gas smell coming from this area. my repair manual mentions a plastic push...

The Evaporative Emission Control System monitors the fuel vapor flow between the engine intake manifold and the EVAP canister. The system failure occurs when a leak or blockage between the intake manifold, the EVAP canister purge valve and the EVAP canister is detected by the PCM.

Code P1443 Possible Causes:

- Pinched, blocked or plugged fuel vapor tubes/hoses (except between fuel tank and EVAP canister)

- Damaged EVAP canister

- Disconnected, cracked or cut fuel vapor tubes/hoses (except between fuel tank and EVAP canister)

- Damaged EVAP canister purge valve

Notes: Check for audible vacuum noise in the engine compartment or significant fuel odor in the engine compartment or near the EVAP canister.

On my '98 4x4, the cannister purge valve is located under the hood, mounted on the driver's side fender.

The EVAP cannister itself is located underneath the truck, in back, between the spare tire and the truck bed (have to remove the spare to get at it).

If it were me I would hold off on replacing parts...I'd drive around some more first, making sure that I don't overfill the gas tank or run it dry and making sure I replace the gas cap properly, etc. If the code returns, then its time to think repairs.

Jul 02, 2009 | 2000 Ford Taurus

1 Answer

I have a 1989 Bronco that is leaking gas from a black and gray canister located between the fuel pump and the frame. It's on the drivers side. What is this part called and where can I find it?

This was used as a Gas Line filter at one time.I was told that the filters are no longer being manufactured and most commmonly the canister is being used as a sedement bowl.I was unable to find an o ring at the time,and sealed the unit with a high grade silicone gasket sealer

Jul 28, 2008 | 1988 Ford Bronco

1 Answer

87 bronco 2 fuel injecter harness

Nope... they only inject fuel during the compression stroke of the engine. Thats how they were designed.

Jul 05, 2008 | 1987 Ford Bronco II

Not finding what you are looking for?
Cars & Trucks Logo

Related Topics:

252 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Ford Experts


Level 3 Expert

76846 Answers

Colin Stickland
Colin Stickland

Level 3 Expert

22246 Answers


Level 3 Expert

5546 Answers

Are you a Ford Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides