Question about 1997 Chevrolet Cavalier
Passenger window stopped working while it was down. Is there a way to raise the window by hand without breaking anything?
I too have the same problem as mentioned, and since I live in Georgia, its rain pretty much every afternoon in the summer months. The motors in both my passenger and drivers window are shot, but while diagnosing the problem, I figured out how to raise the window manually in case your windows is stuck down like me.
1. Remove the door panel.
2. Remove the moisture barrier.
3. Remove the speaker from door, this will make it easier to see whats going on.
4. Locate window regulator motor riveted to the door frame. The end of this part has a white hard plastic cap which houses the brushes.
5. With a flat head screw driver, pry the three metal tabs outward , these hold the end cap securely in place. (circled in red in pictures)
6. Use a pair of pliers to pull the white end cap strait off. Be careful the brushes and strings will fall out.
7. With the end of the stater exposed, use on hand to pull the windows up, and the other hand to rotate the stater. This will drive the gear which drive the window. Be patient here, it may not appear as if anything is happened. That is because the reduction gears within the regulator.
8. Once you have the window all the way up, replace the end cap, brushes, springs, and bend three metal tabs back to secure cap.
9. Your done!
Here are some pictures I took for reference.
Posted on Jun 19, 2010
No, the motor will provide too much resistance. I suggest a sheet of clear plastic & duct tape until you can get it fixed. Sorry.
Posted on Jan 12, 2009
a 6ya Mechanic can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US.
click here to Talk to a Mechanic (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Mar 13, 2016 | Cars & Trucks
Jul 29, 2014 | 1999 Jeep Cherokee 4WD
Jan 26, 2014 | 2008 Jeep Patriot
Jul 11, 2010 | 2001 Ford Expedition
Apr 10, 2009 | 1983 Porsche 944
Apr 07, 2009 | 2002 Jeep Liberty
Jul 21, 2008 | 1995 Ford Crown Victoria
Jun 26, 2008 | 2003 Ford Crown Victoria
1,229 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: