Open the window.
Unscrew the door lock knob.
On Explorer/Mountaineer, remove the 2 screws retaining the trim panel located above the door handle.
On Ranger, remove the two screws in the armrest and remove it.
Exploded view of the front door trim panel
5. If equipped with manual window crank handles, pull off the handle cover, then remove the attaching screw.
6. Remove the trim cup behind (Explorer/Mountaineer) or around (Ranger) the door handle using a small prying tool. Retention nibs will flex for ease of removal.
7. If equipped with power accessories, use the notch at the lower end of the plate and pry the plate off. Remove the plate from the trim panel and pull the wiring harness from behind the panel. Disconnect the harness from the switches.
8. Remove any retaining screws uncovered by the removed trim pieces.
9. Using a flat wood spatula, insert it carefully behind the panel and slide it along to find the push-pins. When you encounter a pin, pry the pin outward. Do this until all the pins are out. NEVER PULL ON THE PANEL TO REMOVE THE PINS!
10. Lift slightly to disengage the panel from the flange at the top of the door.
... and remove it, then remove any uncovered screws
Pry out the trim panel-to-door frame retaining clips, then lift up and pull the panel free
Disconnect the door courtesy lamp and remove the panel completely. Replace any damaged or bent attaching clips.
Installation is the reverse of removal.