Question about 1999 Jeep Cherokee
We were trying to jump my car off of a Jeep cause my battery was about dead...but I opened the jeep hood which ended up not having anything to hold the hood up b/c the hydraulics had gone out on the cylinders...so I connected everything then closed the hood on the alligator clamps so I could go start my car and when she went to start the jeep up it sparked and wouldn’t start anymore...the lights would come on and off we thought we needed to jump the Jeep off and as my buddy was connecting the alligator clamps he got a shock through the hood...so he said there was probably a short somewhere or the battery went bad or something...my guess is a short but everything completely stopped working when he tried to connect the car batteries together again...he said the hood touching the alligator clamps probably caused it to short circuit...We had the battery recharged and connected it up again but no lights just a clicking sound behind thee drivers side like a solenoid is trying to engage...if you have any ideas please let me know...I heard it might be a fusible link as well...any ideas?
Your buddy getting a shock thru the body tells me you could have burnt thru one of the cables from the battery. chk. cables for burn spots especially around where it comes in contact with metal. consentrating on the positive cable, but chk. all even ground cable and ground straps. also chk. around starter selonid, there might be a fusible link there as well thats burnt. to chk. fusible links if you find one, grab ahold of it and pull, if its burnt it will pull apart. also chk. around battery too. if you are not sure what a fusible link looks like ask someone who does. like your local michanic. if you need more info just ask, i'll help as much as i can.
Posted on Jan 08, 2009
First, you may just owe the Jeep owner a new alternator. In closing the hood, you shorted out it's electrical/charging system!!!! If you are lucky, you may have blown the 60 amp fuse in his power distribution center which serves the charging system.
This applies to your vehicle as well... If the cables were solidly connected to your battery, your electrical system has been compromised as well!
You do not mention what kind of vehicle was being jumped... however, just about every vehicle has either fusable links, or fuses which are put there to protect the systems. The problem is that diodes in alternator and sophisticated electronics can be damaged in milliseconds, far faster than a fuse can blow.
If you either had placed a broomstick, tree branch, etc in there to hold the hood open, or even a floormat over the battery and cables, to keep them from contacting the hood, this would not have happened!
Fusable links are generally found near the battery or a major power junction. They are usually a softer wire than standard wiring. Often, you will see a burn on the casing or you can feel the break as you run your fingers down them. DO NOT substitute them with standard wire! After replacing whatever burned out, check the charging systems of both vehicles to determine if any damage has been done.
Posted on Jan 08, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Jun 16, 2014 | 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Aug 25, 2010 | 2004 Chevrolet Impala
Aug 10, 2010 | 2008 Jeep Wrangler
Mar 12, 2010 | 2006 Jeep Liberty
Oct 02, 2009 | 2001 BMW 5 Series
Sep 04, 2009 | 1992 Chevrolet S-10
Jun 30, 2009 | 1998 Ford Windstar
Jan 05, 2009 | 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee
147 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: