Question about Cars & Trucks
2008 328i Passenger headlight assembly removal.
The headlight assembly is held in by 4 "star" bolts (size 25); 2 visible on the top of the assembly, 2 not visible or easily accessible.
The 2 bolts not so visible require that the front half of the wheel well come off and the front bumper or "nose" of the car.... The bumper is what needs to come off, but there are 2 bumper bolts hidden by the wheel well.
The wheel well is held in by 7mm bolts, 2 of which are actually bolted to the bumper on the bottom.
The front bumper is held on with 7mm bolts on the bottom edge, and star bolts, size 25, accessible on the top edge. (Hood open). Here were my steps.
1. Jack up the car on the side you are replacing, remove wheel.
2. Using 7mm socket, remove all the bolts to peel off the front half of the wheel well. With the wheel well out, you can see the 2 other star bolts holding the headlight assembly, but you can only remove one of them... even if you were good enough to get both removed, the headlight assemble will not push out through the bumper.... Keep going with bumper removal.
3. Remove 2, 7mm bolts of the front bumper that are now visible up near the outer edge of the headlight assembly.
4. At this point I removed the bumper's top edge start bolts and bottom edge 7mm bolts about 3/4 of the way across the bumper...
5. The bumper is very flexible and you can now pull it back , reach in, and get that last difficult star bolt on the headlight assembly....
6. Don't forget the one electrical connector....
7. I also recommend testing the new assembly by plugging it in before removing anything
Posted on Nov 09, 2012
a 6ya Mechanic can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US.
click here to Talk to a Mechanic (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Nov 27, 2016 | 2008 BMW 328i
Apr 26, 2015 | 2008 BMW 328i
Mar 01, 2015 | 2008 BMW 3 Series 328i
Oct 18, 2014 | 2008 BMW 3 Series
Oct 14, 2014 | 2008 BMW 328i
Oct 11, 2014 | 2008 BMW 328i
Aug 30, 2014 | 2008 BMW 328xi Coupe
Jul 10, 2014 | 2008 BMW 328i Sportswagon
Jan 02, 2013 | Cars & Trucks
Nov 08, 2012 | Cars & Trucks
244 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: