This is how to replace it on a 1996 Blazer 4dr.
First, go buy the part you need at Rockauto. The link is for a 1996, but make sure you order it for your vehicle
Just do a search for a Window Actuator Rod Retainer. Rock Auto requires
you order a pair of these, so make sure you order two. Each one has two
of them in there so you will have 3 extras.
Window Actuator Rod Retainers - RockAuto.com
To open the window in the mean time while you are waiting for the part, do the following.
1. Remove the two screws on the door handle so you can pull back the door panel.
2. Pull back panel on top in the middle where it rises.
3. Reach in with a screw driver or your fingers to push down the lever.
It's a metal piece on the left side against the wall to the inside of
4. Open window and tailgate and remove screws on the sides of the
tailgate. There is one on each side. Make sure it is the one fartest
out and on the plastic panel.
5. Once the screws are removed, pull up on half the panel that is
farthest out from the truck. Slide out away from the truck. The panel
should come off with a little effort. Do not pull up on the panel
closest to the truck, you will break the hooks that hold it in. I broke
two on mine. The panel will slide away from the truck pretty easily.
6. Remove the screws holding the middle metal panel down. There are about 12 screws. They are the 9/32 socket screws.
7. Pull the metal panel up, first dislodge the metal poles connected to
the two white clips on each side in the center of the panel.
8. You will now see your actuator with the broken blue clip.
9. Pop off the blue retainer from the actuator. This will take some
effort but it will pop off. (here's where you can replace the actuator
if it's not making a sound)
10. Place one end of the retainer into the loose metal piece that
rotates (left arrow in third picture) and then pop the other end back
on to the actuator.
11. Replace the metal panel and clip the poles back into the white clips.
12. Make sure your door handle rod is clipped into the lock before you
close the tailgate. If not, you have to work at opening it again by
sliding you arm down between the plastic panel and it's not easy.
13. Replace everything. Before you close the door, make sure the door handle works and make sure the actuator is connected.
14. You should now be able to use your tailgate window again!
I am taking a guess your trying to remove the tailgate panel to fix this problem???