How do you install a fan belt for a 1998 ford escort
The alternator went out on my escort,we had to take the fan belt off in order to get it on.i did'nt see them remove the belt and there is no digram under the hood to show you how to route the belt.i think i put the belt on right,but now the pully wont move either way.does this mean the spring is broken?
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
1) Start with the alternator.
2) Forward to the smooth idler
3) Forward to power steering
4) Down to A/C compressor
5) Back to crank pulley
6) Forward around tensioner
7) Back glancing off of water pump
8) Back glancing off of ribbed idler
9) Up around alternator (where you started)
You may have a self tensioner which applies belt tension with a spring.
Look for a spot to put a 1/'2"drive breaker bar on it and release the belt tension, then slide the belt off and install new belt. You may need a helper to remove the belt while you hold the tension off,
Its been awhile since I have seen an Escort, i may be wrong!
There is a belt diagram on the emission sticker under the hood, if it is not there I suggest you get an Escort repair manual. I have searched the Web and am unable to come up with qa diagram of the belt.