My front wipers arent working, could it just be the fuse? if so which fuse do i change as the list only has my rear wiper on it.
Fuse nr.31, F31, (25A) = Windscreen wipers
This fuse is placed on fuse box / relay plate engine bay 1, under bonnet in engine compartment area!
If the fuse F31 is OK.
You must diagnose why windscreen wipers going slow and/or stopping.
In order to find out the cause of wipers stopping you can try follows:
1. Carefully extract the wiper arms from their axles (two pieces). In some cases you need to use an extracting tool. Heed of the windscreen !!!
2. Disassemble the plastic covers from the bottom of the windscreen.
3. With the bonnet up you can start the engine, (transmission in "N" or "P" position and parking brake on). Now you must switch on the control lever of the wipers, and go to the engine compartment. If the wiper motor runs let the wiper motor running for a few minutes and switch off. Go to the step 4. If the wiper motor do not runs you must check first the electrical feeding of the motor. It is necessary to unscrew three bolts of the mechanism and disconnect the electrical coupling (difficult assurance). If the electrical feeding is OK you must replace the motor - steps 5, 6, 7. If not you must check electrical connections, the control switch of wipers and electric cables.
4. Now you must check the two bearings of wiper mechanism with your hand. In the most cases the left bearing is out of order (is very hot). This is the most encounter fault of the wipers running at Audi.
5. For have enough space to manipulation the wiper motor together with their mechanism you must extract the plastic cover of the engine computer box, and extract also the box screws. Then you can move slowly the engine computer box, just for a few milimeters.
6. You must disconnect the electrical coupling of the motor (difficult assurance), unscrew three bolts of the mechanism and extract together with the motor. You must move them slowly between windscreen and engine computer box until the wiper motor go out together with the mechanism. This is the most difficult operation!
7. Now you can repair the bearings, replace entire wiper mechanism or replace the wiper motor. It is not very simply, but it works.
Heed of the windscreen !!!
Refit all in reverse order.
Jan 13, 2010 |
2006 Audi A3