Question about 2006 Mercedes-Benz ML-Class
Is there a common issue with this vehicle that would result in these engine codes? They indicate bank 1 and 2 running rich. Is there anything I can try before taking it to a mechanic? Thanks.
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
SOURCE: 2003 c230 kompressor
P0172 - System Too Rich (Bank 1)
Basically this means that an oxygen sensor in bank 1 detected a rich condition (too little oxygen in the exhaust). On V6/V8/V10 engines, Bank 1 is the side of the engine that has cylinder #1.
Note: This DTC is very similar to P0175, and in fact your vehicle may show both codes at the same time.
Symptoms: You will more than likely not notice any drivability problems, although there may be symptoms such as a misfire. This is the next code explained.
Causes: A code P0172 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
* The MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor is dirty or faulty. Note: The use of "oiled" air filters can cause the MAF to become dirty if the filter is over-oiled. There is also an issue with some vehicles where the MAF sensors leak the silicone potting material used to protect the circuitry.
* There could be a vacuum leak.
* There could be a fuel pressure or delivery problem
Possible solutions include:
* Inspect all vacuum and PCV hoses, replace if necessary
* Cleanthe MAF sensor. Consult your service manual for it's location if you need help. I find it's best to take it off and spray it with electronics cleaner or brake cleaner. Make sure you are careful not to damage the MAF sensor, and make sure it's dry before reinstalling
* Inspect fuel lines for cracks, leaks, or pinches
* Check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail
* Check the fuel injectors, they may be dirty. Use fuel injector cleaner or get them professionally cleaned/replaced.
* Check for an exhaust leak before the first oxygen sensor (this is unlikely to cause the problem, but it is possible)
P0301 - Cylinder 1 One Misfire Detected
A P0301 code means that the the car's computer has detected that one of the engine's cylinders is not firing properly. In this case it's cylinder #1.
Symptoms may include:
* the engine may be harder to start
* the engine may stumble / stumble, and/or hesitate
* other symptoms may also be present
Causes: A code P0301 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
* Faulty spark plug or wire
* Faulty coil (pack)
* Faulty oxygen sensor(s)
* Faulty fuel injector
* Burned exhaust valve
* Faulty catalytic converter(s)
* Running out of fuel
* Poor compression
* Defective computer
* If there are no symptoms, the simplest thing to do is to reset the code and see if it comes back.
* If there are symptoms such as the engine is stumbling or hesitating, check all wiring and connectors that lead to the cylinders (i.e. spark plugs). Depending on how long the ignition components have been in the car, it may be a good idea to replace them as part of your regular maintenance schedule. I would suggest spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap, and rotor (if applicable). Otherwise, check the coils (a.k.a. coil packs). In some cases, the catalytic converter has gone bad. If you smell rotten eggs in the exhaust, your cat converter needs to be replaced. I've also heard in other cases the problems were faulty fuel injectors.
Keep in mind that the "misfiring" are not only for bad O2 sensors, check the other componentes that I tell you before.
Keep us updated.
Posted on Jan 19, 2011
Tips for a great answer:
Aug 16, 2015 | Ford Cars & Trucks
on Apr 29, 2011 | Ford F-150 Cars & Trucks
Jul 28, 2015 | Cars & Trucks
Jun 29, 2015 | Nissan Cars & Trucks
Jul 14, 2017 | 2006 Chrysler Pacifica Touring
Mar 28, 2013 | 2003 Ford Ranger Regular Cab
Mar 28, 2012 | 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Mar 10, 2011 | Chevrolet 1500 Cars & Trucks
Jan 01, 2011 | Ford Taurus Cars & Trucks
Dec 18, 2009 | 2004 Kia Sedona
196 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: