Question about 1997 GMC Sierra

Open Question

Radio memory draws .25 amp when shut off and drains battery

Just the standard delco oe am/fm. with clock. pulls .25 amps at fuse. can't find that any other accessory is connected to this radio/batt circuit. This draws down the battery overnight. clock display is always on, should it be?

Posted by on

  • Chuck Sullivan Dec 12, 2012

    my 1997 gmc sierra does the same thing; the display never turns off. a patch only! pull the radio memory fuse battery will stay up but you will have to retune radio each time you turn ignition off


6 Suggested Answers

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

  • 182 Answers

SOURCE: 2000 GMC Jimmy excessive parasidic draw on battery

Is the alternator charging properly.

Posted on Sep 11, 2008

  • 231 Answers

SOURCE: horn -dm fuse 25 amp

check your cab lites to see if water has gotten into one of them and corroded a hot wire off. and that it's not shorting out causing your problem. also take a look at the wiring going to your domelite.

Posted on Oct 16, 2008

  • 426 Answers

SOURCE: 2001 GMC Yukon Denali XL -intermittent dead battery

The wiper should not move regardless of battery change as the wiper switch should have isolated it.It seems to be the only ,as you say,strange thing and would be inclined to believe that that is the probable cause of your fault.Do like your testing method and hope you track the fault down.Good luck and happy new year.

Posted on Dec 29, 2008

  • 1 Answer

SOURCE: Dead Batterry. High current draw with ignition off.

My 2002 GMS Sierra draws a simaliar amount of current.(.52 A). There a two items which draw current all the time on my truck. One is the OEM security system and I also have a wirless auto start unit. Both of these have a continouse draw on the battery. I've installed a high current marine battery switch to isloate this load if my truck will not be used for more than two weeks. Otherwise, the battery will be ecessivley drained. Regards, Jeff

Posted on May 03, 2009

  • 499 Answers

SOURCE: CD,AM, FM radio, How do I set the

try to download the manual from here's-Manual-2004-==TVRBNU5UUTQ=.html

Posted on Jun 07, 2009

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

Having trouble with my Proton Jumbuck ute. The battery has a drain of 0.10A. I have isolated the room light and clock the drain is still 0.10A. Are there any other circuits that come off this fuse?

0.10 amps is only 100 milliamps, and that is not enough to drain a battery. In fact, if your Ute has an engine computer, that may account for the amp draw. I'm not familiar with this car, as it is not sold in the US as that name. On some US cars, that circuit would be known as IOD (ignition off draw), and specifically for clock, radio pre sets, computer memory, and security parts if used. It is said as long as the amp draw is less than 150 milliamps (0.150A), everything is fine.
So, probably the engine computer, or radio pre-sets, or security apparatus, hey?

Jan 01, 2017 | Proton Cars & Trucks

2 Answers

Why does battery drain ?

there are several reasons...not enough cells in a weak battery(not enough cold cranking amps in battery to turn the car over). Check your alternator as well. Does the temperature drop? Sounds like you need a new battery(also when you turn off your car- TURN OFF EVERYTHING...sometimes a radio, or something not turned off(even a trunk light, interior light, security system(various things)- can zap the juice from your battery overnight or within hrs.-leaving not enough to start the car the next day....Hope that helps....Xx, Jasmine

Aug 15, 2014 | 1995 Lincoln Town Car

1 Answer


Maybe shouldn't answer and wait for someone to tell us both what BFC means, but it would not be for the BCM. Sounds like what some cars call the IOD fuse-ignition off draw-the small battery draw that is used for the computer memory, radio pre-sets, and the clock, theft alert system. Believe it would be about that same draw as yours, not enough to drain a battery. Still have your owner's manual? It should have a listing of the fuses.

May 23, 2013 | Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

What could cause a parasitic draw from the battery in the ignition cercuit?

You have to close the door and leave them closed for 5 to
20 min depending on what relay has to time out

Usually just a delayed accy relay

Window,Roof & Radio

Sometimes they drops out when a
front door opens

On the Parasitic CURRENT Draw,you measuring
Current NOT Voltage,so you need to be in series
with either battery cable

Go to You Tube Video to see how that is done

When you have no problems you will see 40 to 80
Mili Amps for the clock on the radio & the computer
RAM (random access memory)

Mar 27, 2013 | Cars & Trucks

2 Answers

I bought a new battery and still wont start

Have you had the alternator checked? may not be charging the battery.

Oct 30, 2012 | 2004 Mercury Mountaineer

1 Answer

I need a fuse panel layout for a 2005 ford focus ZX?

1 amp over an extended period (like overnight) is an excessive draw, and would drain the battery in a few days. What happens after the one minute? Does it continue to draw, or is that as long as you checked it?
If fuse F7 is the ignition off draw (IOD), then you are on the right track. The IOD serves to feed the computer's keep alive memory, the radio presets, the clock, and the alarm system. But the draw is measured in milli-amps. About 200 milli-amps or less is normal (and that is 0.2 amps), and that would not drain the battery in such a short time.
I would have a shop check this out with an ammeter and a device called a Shunt Bar. Ask for a battery drain test, or an off-draw test; well, explain your problem and have them check for too much current being used when everything is shut off.
Good luck.

Jul 11, 2012 | 2005 Ford Focus 2.0

1 Answer

The truck is a tow truck and is ran very frequently is there another solution to why it is draining the battery

With engine off and key out of ignition, take off negative battery cable and hook up a test light between battery post and cable end. If you have an unintended drain, the test light will be brightly lit. You may find the source of the problem by pulling fuses out one at a time till light goes off. Whatever fuse pulled caused the light to go off, that will be the problem circuit-some component on it may be draining your battery.
If the test light is dimly lit, that could be the computer memory, clock and radio memory. It should only be using milli-amps (like under 200 milli-amps) You might want to check if amperage draw is more than this.

Jun 06, 2012 | 1992 Ford F350

1 Answer

New battery went dead. pulled the fuses and checked for a short. Found the fuse that shows a short just don't know what it goes too

A voltmeter is NOT the correct tool to check for an "ignition-off draw". A voltmeter will show 12 volts if ANYTHING is operating.

There are some things that are SUPPOSED to keep operating when the vehicle is shut off. These include, but are not limited to:
> Powertrain Control Module keep-alive memory
> Radio preset memory
> Clock
> Security/ alarm system
> Remote control recievers (door locks, etc.)

What you need to know is how many AMPS are being drawn from the battery when the vehicle is shut off. This is done by using a shunt bar connected between the battery terminal and the battery cable connector.

Set the ammeter to the lowest setting (usually 2 or 5 amp scale) Connect the ammeter leads accross the shunt bar. Turn off all electrical accessories, ignition switch, etc. and wait for a minimum of 45 minutes for all of the computer systems to go into "sleep" mode. Then open the shunt bar and read the amperage.

The "rule of thumb" is 300 milliamps (or 0.3 amps). This is where you have a problem. Anything less than this is not a problem and is not the cause of your dead battery. My experience is that most vehicles built in the last 15 years or so, will usually measure around 150 milliamps if there is no aftermarket equipment installed. Please note that even this 150 milliamps will measure as 12 volts if measured with a volt meter. A 2 amp draw will also measure as 12 volts....However, a 2 amp draw will kill your battery overnight and the 150 milliamp draw won't.

May 22, 2012 | 1999 Jeep Cherokee

1 Answer

1994 dodge caravan se 15 amp ignitation off fusedraw still draws 00.04 amps

Milli-amps is the measure for draw of the computer memory, clock, and radio pre-sets. So, .04 amps is just a little more. Would that be like what a glove box light might draw? Try either pulling a few fuses and see if you still have a draw, or take the battery negative post off overnight, and see if battery is still good and hot the next day.
Good luck.

Mar 02, 2012 | 1994 Dodge Caravan

Not finding what you are looking for?
1997 GMC Sierra Logo

Related Topics:

129 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top GMC Experts


Level 3 Expert

75822 Answers


Level 3 Expert

1311 Answers

Colin Stickland
Colin Stickland

Level 3 Expert

22156 Answers

Are you a GMC Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides