Question about 1997 Chevrolet Cavalier
I need to change the spark plug wires but how?
Depending on the Motor. You should not have any Plug wires. You will have to remove the Top cover on the Motor and they should be Straight down from top on Either Side. (Plugs)
Posted on Jan 03, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
Oct 26, 2016 | 2009 Hyundai Accent
Apr 25, 2013 | 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix
Jun 24, 2012 | 1999 Honda CR-V
Jan 28, 2011 | Mitsubishi Endeavor Cars & Trucks
1. Pull the hood release lever located under the dashboard.
2. Walk around to the front of the car, reach under the hood, find the latch and squeeze it. Open the hood.
3. Find the spark plugs, located in a row along one side of the engine (on an in-line four-cylinder engine) and attached to thick wires, called spark plug wires. Cars with V-shaped engines (which can have four, six or eight cylinders) will have spark plugs and spark plug wires on both sides of the engine.
4. Change one spark plug at a time, always putting the plug wire back on before changing the next spark plug.
5. Pull off one spark plug wire where it attaches to the plug. There is a little rubber boot at the plug end of the wire; pull on this part. Pulling higher up on the wire can damage the spark plug wire and cause it to separate.
6. Blow or wipe away any dirt or debris around the spark plug. You do not want anything to fall into the cylinder while the spark plug is out.
7. With the spark plug socket and a ratchet, remove the spark plug by turning it in a counterclockwise direction. You may need an extension for your ratchet if the spark plugs are deep-set or not directly accessible. Ratchets with flexible heads are especially helpful for hard-to-reach spark plugs.
8. Check the spark plug to make sure it needs replacing. A good spark plug should be lightly coated with greyish brown deposits. If heavy deposits are present, if the spark plug is black or if the electrode or core nose are damaged, the plug needs to be replaced.
Video - www.carbasics.co.uk - look in the 'how to' section.
Hope this is of help
Nov 28, 2010 | 2001 Dodge Stratus
Nov 10, 2010 | 1994 Honda Civic
Jun 30, 2010 | 2002 GMC Yukon Denali
May 29, 2010 | 2001 Chevrolet Blazer
May 25, 2009 | 1999 Chevrolet Camaro
May 18, 2009 | 1999 Chevrolet Tracker
146 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: