Question about Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

How grease to grease ball joints on a 1998 dodge Dakota sport

Posted by on


1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Vice President:

    An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.

  • Master
  • 417 Answers

You need a grease gun and a tube of grease for your particular vehicle make. You can purchase both at any auto parts store. If you haven't replaced the ball joints since the vehicle was made then you probably wont be able to grease them. Most vehicles come off the line without access. However aftermarket parts have points where you can grease. Take your grease gun and stick the end over the nipple,(sorry can't think of the name for the **** things that you grease into, so Im calling them nipples.) Anyway, pump the gun until grease comes out from the joint and that should do it. Really pretty simple operation provided you have the nipples at the joints already. Hope this helps.

Posted on Oct 27, 2012


6 Suggested Answers

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of.(from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones)
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

  • 63 Answers

SOURCE: Six hours to replace '05 Dakota lower ball joints?

well when you get a estimate they go by a general book time that it should take they are usally over by an hour or so but not very far off. you could try your self and see how long it takes

Posted on Mar 20, 2009

  • 3854 Answers

SOURCE: Ball Joints

I highly recommend that you have a press available, they dont screw in unfortunatly.
To change uper ball joints; Remove tire Pull codder pin and remve nut Tap ball joint out of wheel/ brake assembly Remove upper control arm compleatly Use Press to push old ball joint out of controll arm.
A torch may be nessisary to heat controll arm. Press new ball joint all the way into controll arm Reinstall every thing Get a professional front end alignment. 

Good lcuk and hope this helps.

Posted on May 05, 2009

  • 64 Answers

SOURCE: 1998 Dodge Stratus squeeky ball joints

i don't have a diagram but the ball joints are directly under the hub. they are what connects the hub to the control arm.

Posted on Jun 28, 2009

  • 148 Answers

SOURCE: Ball joint replacement-2003 Ford Sport Trac

if you dont have a ball joint press and dont know how to use one then dont do it, but if you do its not that bad of a job just jack the truck up under the control arm remove the brake rotor then take the lower ball joint nut off then use a pickle fork to break the ball joint loose then take the axle nut off push the axle out of the bearing and use the ball joint press to remove and replace the ball joint

Posted on Jul 19, 2009

  • 146 Answers

SOURCE: how to take off stock upper and lower ball joint assembly

yes they need to be pressed out they make a tool that takes care of installing and replacing

Posted on Aug 23, 2009

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

3 Answers

Squeaking noise in front end of 2006 Dodge Dakota - both sides

Could be ball joints or lower control arm bushings.
You can try soaking the bushings with wd40 and see if the squeak goes away temporarily.

Jul 06, 2012 | 2006 Dodge Dakota

3 Answers

How do I replace the upper ball joints on a 98 Dodge Dakota 4x4? I understand that the ball joints are riveted to the upper control arm. What is the best way to break those rivets free?

Easiest way to remove the rivets if you don't have an air chisel is to drill through them and then finish off using a hand chisel. The new ones will come with bolts...don't use a drill larger than the bolts.

Jan 30, 2011 | 1998 Dodge Dakota

2 Answers

I just bought a 1997 Dodge Dakota sport 4x4 with a v-8 mag, I love it so far but if making a turn from a dead stop, left or right, it makes this thunking noise, thought it could be the tires hitting? ...

Could be the tires, that is easy enough to check. Could be the drive axle joints. Does it do it any other time? if so, check the cv joints and replace the axles if necessary. You can check the axles for tightness by laying under the truck, doesn't need to be in the air, inspect the rubber boots to assure they are not torn or ripped then start shaking the axles, If they are loose, or if the boots are bad, replace the axles. Good Luck

Dec 27, 2010 | 1997 Dodge Dakota

1 Answer

I have a 1995 Dodge 4x4 Dakota Sport. Can I get upper and lower ball joints for it

yes you can they might be press in's or bolt in. but you can get them from your closest parts store

Nov 03, 2009 | 1995 Dodge Dakota

1 Answer

How do I replace the upper ball joint on a 98 dodge dakota?

you will need a ball joint press to put it back in but just use a big hammer to knock it out sometimes you can get it out with the press, which you can rent at a auto parts store

Oct 21, 2009 | 1998 Dodge Dakota

1 Answer

How to take off stock upper and lower ball joint assembly

yes they need to be pressed out they make a tool that takes care of installing and replacing

Aug 23, 2009 | 1998 Dodge Dakota

Not finding what you are looking for?
Cars & Trucks Logo

Related Topics:

226 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Cars & Trucks Experts


Level 3 Expert

76673 Answers

Colin Stickland
Colin Stickland

Level 3 Expert

22219 Answers

Randy Ohler

Level 3 Expert

14585 Answers

Are you a Car and Truck Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides