Question about Cars & Trucks
a 6ya Mechanic can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US.
click here to Talk to a Mechanic (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
IF it was any gasket issue you would be losing coolant or getting air into the coolant, usually causing it to overflow. You have not said any of these things, so I would suspect this is an issue with the fluid not moving through the engine, either because it is blocked, or because the water pump is not moving it.
Posted on Dec 12, 2011
A couple of questions and a couple of answers
Posted on Apr 23, 2012
It is best to be systematic about this. It could be either the water loss or the overheating which is the basic cause, either one could come first.
- there is a test for combustion gases in the water jacket, from a blown head gasket. This will very quickly cause overheating, and the excess pressure will blow the water out the overflow reservoir. If the car has already overheated and died, this is unfortunately quite likely
- the temperature sensor in the block may have failed. This will prevent the fans from running when the engine overheats, and you can see this. The fans are not driven by a belt. P68....
- the thermostat may have stuck closed. You will have to get it out and test it, but this is not difficult. See p328
- this model of Camry has a plastic top tank to the radiator, which eventually cracks. Look there carefully.
- it may be that a radiator hose has gone soft and closed up. Check they are allowing good coolant flow.
- it could be that in a car this age that the radiator has silted up and is not allowing coolant through. Disconnect the top and bottom radiator hoses, when cool, and run water through from a garden hose to get some idea about that.
Posted on Sep 29, 2012
Tips for a great answer:
Oct 23, 2012 | 2005 Nissan Sentra
Aug 17, 2012 | 1992 Nissan Pickup
Jul 28, 2012 | 2002 Pontiac Montana
Mar 25, 2012 | 1987 Toyota Camry
Nov 02, 2011 | 2001 Oldsmobile Aurora
Jul 24, 2011 | 1990 Honda Civic
May 21, 2011 | 1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
Jan 27, 2011 | 1997 Ford Explorer AWD
Oct 08, 2010 | 2000 GMC Jimmy
Jan 13, 2010 | 1994 Plymouth Voyager
52 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!