Question about 1997 Chevrolet Blazer

1 Answer

I have antifreeze running down the drivers side of my transmission but cant find where its coming from

Posted by on


1 Answer

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points


    An expert that got 5 achievements.


    An expert who has written 20 answers of more than 400 characters.


    A rookie expert who has answered 20 questions on their first day.

  • Expert
  • 59 Answers

Unfortunately, if you can't trace the flow of the fluid back to its source, you will need a specialty tool to do this yourself. I can tell you what a mechanic will do as part of an evaluation.

A mechanic will first use a kit similar to this Craftsman set:

Essentially this works by attaching an air pump (like a bicycle tire inflator) to where the radiator cap fastens. By forcing pressure into the system, it will cause (hopefully) fluid to spurt out of small pinholes or around seals where it is leaking. After pressurizing, the mechanic will look with a flashlight.

The second part of the test is to dump a ultraviolet dye into the system and run the car to circulate it. After waiting for a bit of the dye-antifreeze to flow out wherever it is, the mechanic would then use a black light to trace the leak.

If you have access to a pressure testing kit or dye, you might be able to do this yourself, otherwise a leak test runs around $30 to $40 at a standard mechanic.

Posted on Oct 25, 2012


1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of.(from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones)
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

2003 dodge durango , driver side down stream , o2 sensor wiring & connector

Welcome to the mechanic"s nightmare First study how the connect comes apart. These connectors remind me of prescription medicine bottles given to someone with no thumbs. With use of ice picks and long handle pliers and several beers you will get it apart. To get more room suggest dropping transmission down by removing cross member. Oh enjoy

May 03, 2014 | 2003 Chevrolet Venture Passanger

1 Answer

I have antifreeze running down the drivers side of my transmission

check around the cylinder heads incase the water jackets have gone also any pipes that may go across or over this position hope this helps ivan

Oct 24, 2012 | 1997 Chevrolet Blazer

1 Answer

Antifreeze leak down back of engine on drivers side

could either be a head gasket or a freez plug leaking

Jul 11, 2012 | 1995 Jaguar XJ6

1 Answer

Water leaking behind moter and i cant see were its coming from

If you have antifreeze leaking from what appears to be coming from the transmission bell housing, the leak is most likely (although possible) not at the rear of the engine.

There COULD be a freeze plug at the back side of the engine between the engine and transmission leaking. However, on the 4.6L engines, it is most commonly caused by either a water pump, heater hose, or intake manifold leaking at the FRONT of the engine.

Leaks in these areas will fill the area between the cylinder heads with coolant, which will run to the back of the engine and out the hole in the cylinder block that is located just above the transmission bell housing. This makes it LOOK like the leak is in the rear.

To verify this condition use a flashlight to look under the intake manifold just past the alternator. Sometimes it is also very helpful to remove the serpentine belt and remove the alternator (very easy to do) to verify that this is the problem.

Take a hard look at the coolant cross-over pipe on the front of the intake manifold assembly. These are notorious for leaking on both sides and VERY LIKELY to be leaking on the driver's side where the thermostat is located.

This problem is so common that an aftermarket company named DORMAN has come up with an aftermarket replacement intake manifold to correct the problem. The DORMAN part number for your vehicle is Part Number: 615-175 It is available at many aftermarket parts suppliers including AutoZone, O'Reilly's, and Advance, for around $230 (USD). (See picture below)


Nov 24, 2011 | 2001 Mercury Grand Marquis

1 Answer

I change the themostat hose but its still leaking from under neath on the driver side . and the coolant light comes on. also a awful smell like it burning

It sounds like a leaking intake manifold gasket to me. (Very common on GM V-6 engines) Look with a flashlight and see if you can see antifreeze running over the top of the transmission bell housing. Check both sides. On the side nearest the windshield and the side nearest the radiator.
Don't drive the car with a coolant leak. The aluminum heads are very unforgiving when it comes to overheating.

Dec 26, 2010 | 2001 Chevrolet Malibu

1 Answer

1996 Beretta Z26 Antifreeze Leak

You should run the engine and watch it to see if you can see where the leak is coming from, it is most likely coming from a hose or the water pump.

Apr 22, 2010 | 1996 Chevrolet Beretta

1 Answer

Leaks water from top of engine and runs down the transmission with out car running but cant see from were

are you in a cold region? if you are and don't have the proper mix of water and antifreeze you might have popped a freeze plug. you might also want to check your heater hoses as one runs off of the intake manifold.

Jan 24, 2010 | 1994 Dodge Caravan

1 Answer

I have a 03 ford windstar just recently had the transmission rebuilt. driving down the high way trasmission started slipping pulled over all the fluid was running out onto the ground. towed it back to the...

Radiator has a cap indicating a running pressure of at least 15 PSI and could fill the Transmission cooler with engine antifreeze if there in a small crack or hole.

Dec 04, 2009 | Ford Windstar Cars & Trucks

Not finding what you are looking for?
1997 Chevrolet Blazer Logo

50 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Chevrolet Experts


Level 3 Expert

76691 Answers

Colin Stickland
Colin Stickland

Level 3 Expert

22219 Answers

Jeffrey Turcotte
Jeffrey Turcotte

Level 3 Expert

8531 Answers

Are you a Chevrolet Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides