Question about Ford F-100

1 Answer

Transmission vac lines

I did cam my truck with a mild edelbrock setup, intake and carb I also put in a shift kit too.

Posted by on


1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 20 achievements.


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • Ford Master
  • 6,982 Answers

A mild cam should be ok as long as less than 220degrees duration (at that point it starts messing with engine vacuum at idle... that's where downshift problems begin) The trans kit does concern me. A tiny piece of dirt, or anything else can mess with the valve body. Generally the kit will just firm up your shifts, and should not change operation overall (unless you got a manual valve body kit, in which you are required to manually shift each gear (up and down!) I'd mess with the modulator some more and maybe even linkage adjustment.
Good luck

Posted on Dec 31, 2008


1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya Mechanic can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US.
click here to Talk to a Mechanic (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

1986 dodge with a 2001 360 dodge magnum motor 600cfm edelbrock carb, air gap edelbrock intake. new plugs (e3s) new wires new coil new ballast.. is all in time.. wont start help

Are you getting spark? You've put a 2001 engine into a 1986 body. The 2001 engine ran with an engine control module (ECM), the 1986 doesn't have that. The 1986 probably has an electronic ignition module that works with the 1986 coil and 1986 reluctor/distributor. You may want to compare the two distributors and the two coils.

Sep 12, 2016 | 1986 Dodge D150

1 Answer

Hi have a 75 eldorado. The car ran and drove fine until put an edlebrock carburetor. The car still runs good and drives but it will not shift into second. I have suction on the trans vacuum line.

Hi Jonathan, When you installed the Edelbrock carb did you readjust the kick down cable for transmission? And does it shift hard in other up shifts?

Aug 10, 2015 | 1975 Cadillac Eldorado

1 Answer

What is involved in a carburetor switch from a 2 barrel to a 4 barrel?

You need to buy a new intake manifold and buy the propper 4 barrel carbruetor.
Try to save yourself some money by buying a carb and intake performance kit from Edelbrock or other local parts stores...

I hope this helps...

May 13, 2013 | Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

This is not so much a problem, but i need an old school engine gurus help. I am about to do a rebuild on my 318. I know what the specs say for the proper cam and lifters setup. But i was wondering what...

If you want 300hp out of your 318 this will get you there: Bowl port the heads and have the valves back-cut 30*, Edelbrock RPM intake(Airgap is more money and the rpm and rpm airgap are basicly the same), Any 600cfm carb, Comp 20-309-4, Headers and dual exhaust. This combo will give you great bottom end and will make 300hp.

The cam, intake and carb alone will not get you there, you need more head flow. So bowl port the heads, or install some 360 heads. good day ! or is this a bit much !!
the 1973 Mopar 318 has 150 hp at 3,600 rpm.

Jul 29, 2011 | Dodge Charger Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

Hi i need to knoe what kind of camshaft i sould get to get a choppy idle on a 1969 350 v8 small block

Any cam grind that has over 220 degrees duration will give that kind of idle. However, most with that kind of duration also have a lot more lift than a stock cam. That will give you very low engine vacuum that will change how your automatic transmission shifts (not good) and can break valve springs, pull rocker studs out of the heads and cause valve/piston clearance problems. (read: bent valves, holes in piston tops)
Overall it isn't anything you want to do to your engine, especially just for the rumpy idle which though it sounds "cool" is actually a byproduct that just happens with those cams by design, but has no benefit.
Engines you hear that kind of idle also have extensive modifications to the carburetor, intake, exhaust, pistons and lower end (crankshaft) and if automatic, they have different torque converters and trans valve body mods as well.
If you want to go fast, get a good aftermarket intake and carb, a mild cam that works in mid-range rpm's, put a set of headers on it and a better exhaust system. Don't ever buy a used camshaft and always replace the lifters with the cam (once they are used, each lifter always needs to be on the same cam lobe forever. Used ones most often have not been kept in order and will quickly round off any different lobe they are used on)
Do a lot of reading and studying before buying anything or you will spend a lot of $ and wind up with junk or less than you had before. Everything needs to work together.It's not about just putting in parts. There is a ton of science and math there that can't be ignored.
good luck!!

Mar 18, 2010 | 1988 Chevrolet Nova

1 Answer

I am going from a qudrajet carb to an Edelbrock 600 with manual choke. I am not sure how the linkage switches over. I am working on a 1985 chevy 4x4 with a sb 350

If your staying with the stock intake manifold the edelbrock wont fit unless you install a adapter plate.And i would advise you not to install it will not seal properly.I would install a edelbrock intake manifold and carburetor as a matched set.You can purchase a edelbrock carburetor and intake manifold from advance auto parts that's designed for your vehicle.

Jan 30, 2010 | 1985 Chevrolet K1500

1 Answer

Just got an 86 monye carlo ss 305 the carb will not open up under full throtle and transmissin wont go into passing gear, a float was installed in carb and high performance cam had been installed just...

They might have missed hooking up the vacuum line for the passing gear when they put the intake back on. There will be a steel line near the firewall coming up from the transmission. It normally plugs into a nipple on the intake behind the carb. If you can't find one just splice it into an existing line, except the distributor line.
The carb problem is most likely a matter of the linkages not being put back on properly, usually on the choke side because it has a lock outfor the secondarys when the choke is on. See if you can get the instruction sheet from the carb kit they used. It will show you what the linkage is supposed to look like when it is hooked up properly. There is also a vacuum switch on the secondarys. Make sure it has vacuum from the front of the carb and that it pulls tight when you start the car and lets off when you shut it off. Hope this helps.

Sep 06, 2009 | 1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

1 Answer

I need to replace the 2 barrel carburetor on my 1973 Mustang Mach 1. What size (cfm) and which brand would work best? Thanks!

If this is the stock 302 cu. inch V-8, the original carburetor will be a Motorcraft 550 CFM carb. If you would like an upgrade I wouldn't go up on the cfm's unless you do a intake manifold change to a competion intake such as a Edelbrock competition intake or other modifications (increased compression ratio, larger valves, higher lift cam etc.) that would allow increased flow.

Jul 14, 2009 | Ford Mustang Cars & Trucks

Not finding what you are looking for?
Cars & Trucks Logo

Related Topics:

140 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Ford Experts


Level 3 Expert

77499 Answers

Colin Stickland
Colin Stickland

Level 3 Expert

22306 Answers


Level 3 Expert

5622 Answers

Are you a Ford Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides